Event:2015/09/28 Fundraising Working Group
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Omni "Buy the Building" working group meeting - Monday September 28, 2015
Brian from Kiva Laura, Matt, Yar, Joe, remote-jenny
- Kiva around x 10 years modeled after Grameen bank.
- Brian's worked for Kiva Zip for 8 months. was part of Occupy, social justice groups. came here for Strike Dept. lives in Richmond, worked for RPA. interested in businesses, worked for night clubs, brother had a biofuel business. trees in bangladesh. grew up poor, working class, wants to get access to capital for groups. 4 months ago started looking into cooperative environment, went to CCCD conference in sacramento, met folks from Dig here, helped anya & maria fund something. also somebody here from a bike collective, as well as $20k for rich city rides in richmond. spoke at their cooperative conference. helped guys crowdfund. "pretty simple, i hate the banks. if people need access to capital, how can we do that?"
- kivazip is microfiance, 3 years old. launches thursday in san francisco. raises matched lending money in the bay area. mostly SF but also oakland, elsewhere in bay area. another one coming up 3rd quarter.
- help take care of liquidity issues, build a stronger business
- need a picture of what you do, what you're gonna do. couple paragraphs on personal platform - "how i grew up, what i like doing".
- hour or 90 minutes to fill out app. no credit check, based on social capital.
- 15 day period to get community members to raise $25+ per person
- platform has 60+k members
* Select an individual to represent each collective that will borrow * Take a picture for each collective for campaign page * We decide which groups will apply for loan first * Person fills out application * HAve ot get all apps running by 10/23 * Every borrower lends $25 to another borrower * SF Kiva Zip launch is this Thursday at SF City Hall.
Response to BACLT
See their email from 23 Sep and draft response here: https://pad.riseup.net/p/bacltresponse
- We should respond quickly to their direct questions about our decision making structure and accountability
- Need to finalize terms of ground lease so BACLT can decide if they want to take on the specific work and how much they would charge us on a montly basis as part of the lease
- We still haven't contacted Lender to set up appointment. Thinking to try to set it up for in about 2 weeks to give us time to work on ground lease. Asked jenny in the chat to do this.
New meeting time
Subleases & Fiscal Sponsorships
- Sudo: Sublease check
- CCL: Sublease check
- TIL: Sublease check
- Durga Press:
- Publication Studio:
- BAPS: Sublease - request if they're willing to be fiscally sponsored instead
- FNB: Need Helen or Joe's signature on sublease
- MPM: Need a signed sublease or ideally further discussion re: fiscal sponsorship [Matt?]
- OpAl/Liberated Lens: Willing to be fiscally sponsored, need to sign an agreement and be approved by the delegates
- Sudo Mesh: Willing to be fiscally sponsored, need to sign an agreement and be approved by the delegates
- Phat Beets: Need signed sublease (DK has it)
- Coordinate phone meeting w/ Jesse, BACLT and Lender [jenny] - sent a Doodle on 9/29
- Follow up with Berkeley Business Law student practicum
- Edit Charitable Activities response: https://pad.riseup.net/p/omniactivities
- Reply to RIck - Laura will draft