Jump to navigation Jump to search
Omni Fundraising WG Monday February 15, 2016
- yar, marcus, matt, marc, david, remote-jenny
- need money. a lot.
overview of work done and work needed
- yar: i want to craft a simple volunteer pitch for all working groups. can we answer these questions?
what has fundraising wg accomplished in past 6 months?
- building & cultivating potential donor relationships
- nearly secured private loan
- changed strategy to pursue a mortgage
- successfully participated in rectifying our accounting books - necessary for our 501c3 app and mortgage application
- updated our rent breakdown
- successfully blurred boundaries with the finance working group
- talked about novels
- fulfilling most of our indiegogo perks
- researched many fundraising options
what work is currently in progress?
- our mortgage application (and therefore purchase)
what work needs to be done?
- grant applications
- remaining mortgage todos:
- creating & improving our financial docs. pro formas, projected budgets
- improving rent roll (in process - proposed to delegates)
- compiling necessary documentation - some things we still need to get
- letters of support from neighbors & BID
- have a professional to look over app
- reinstating use permits. important missing pieces:
- structural inspection from past 3 years
- laundry list of other things
- more comprehensive updated floorplans (fire inspection also needs that)
- demonstrate continuous historical use of building - jenny & DK working on it (avoids $8k fee)
- DK already scanned & annotated newspapers going back to 1934
what do we need from new volunteers?
- time commitment:
- dk: we need people working on on-paper business-plan-esque strategic vision for omni, and for specific aspects of omni focused on generating revenue such as ballroom, event booking...
- having business plan for event booking would help get loans from people in community who are used to seeing something like that
- we're gonna make the whole building ADA accessible! paint everywhere! pay to fly anarchists out here!
- collaterol to excite people
- have an online brochure advertising ballroom - have your wedding here!
- matt's summary: enhance production, marketing, therefore making outreach easier
- communication and coordination tasks
- get every collective to pay with bank transfers or quickbooks, who isn't already doing it
have a professional to look over app
- DK talked to a "non-profit specializing CPA"
- you can get "certified financial review" - they'll rubber stamp it (looks better) and they'll find bugs in your data.
- rick from BACLT can help
- michael the mortgage broker
- marc: worth it. 3-5k tho
- dk knows someone to look it over but he can't do the official stamp. friend's brother in chicago. won't look at every transaction, just overalls and spot-check stuff.
- marc: will it significantly help our chances?
- dk: i think it'll bump our chances. we're so young, inspires confidence.
- we'll try the unofficial person first. need to give him access to quickbooks - everyone is ok with that
- yar: also materials for first friday outreach - stickers, etc
- help with our next crowdfunding campaign
- save the omni!
- leader, and workers
- getting content ready
- talking to a lot of journalists
- discussion of getting zoning clearance & business tax license. maybe we should just go downtown and apply.
- good for another 10k, but that's it. making less money next month. really need to figure out april rent NOW
p & l
- take that, profit & loss!
- now jesse can send 501c3 app. woo hoo!!!