stuff in the building to fix
- 1 Current Projects
- 2 Recently-Completed Projects
- 3 General
- 4 Ballroom
- 5 Front Area
- 6 Basement
- 7 Bocce Court
- 8 Disco Room
- 9 Phat Beets
- 10 Doors
- 11 Wishlist
The wheelchair-accessible bathroom in the Entrance Hall was initially begun in the fall of 2014 (shortly after we moved in) and made usable to those in wheelchairs. However, when we ran out of money at the end of 2015, we were unable to continue the work required to finish it.
As of November 2017, that permit has been reopened and we estimate it will be completed up to ADA-compliancy by April 2018.
Basement Commercial Kitchen
Roughly $50,000 in upgrades are needed to bring the basement kitchen up to code. Volunteers from many of our collectives, in particular Food Not Bombs, are currently working on the logistics for a crowdfunding campaign to be launched by the end of 2017. We hope to begin opening permits by January of 2018.
Basement Hall Improvements
Efforts are underway to clear the Basement Hall of accumulated storage and junk, fix the lighting in this area, patch a significant leak near the foundation, and establish an inter-collective media lab utilizing existing resources for in-house collectives as well as the wider community of organizers in the Bay Area.
- Fall 2017: Entrance Hall and front counter painted, stage built along western wall, zine library established, beginnings of a rotating art gallery created. Several large holes in basement patched with drywall. Leaking water heater, several toilets, and sudo/ccl bathroom sink repaired.
Remove all extension cords, replace with conduit or install outlets if necessary---> still need to install conduit by 48th St entrance
- Patch and seal all potential holes available for use by our neighborhood rodents.
- Outlets on east/shattuck-side wall need to be: removed, wire-nutted, wrapped in elec tape, covered with blank faceplates. TURN OFF CIRCUIT FIRST. Note: furthest N outlet not disconnected, only outlet in the center of the wall
sink needs to have hole/leak repaired (stainless steel), and possibly re-mounted / re-caulked.
- Need to remove blue masonite tabletop as it is weighing the sink down! Modify and return as actual cabinetry / surface.
Ballroom-Shattuck Exit Area
install light cover into flourescent panel (22"x3') - flourescents are 2x 2' bulbs
SW staircase up: Repair hole in south wall near floor immediately across from stairs (see south wall acoustic treatment)
SW & SE staircases: motion detectors up & down
- SW & SE staircases: LED strip lighting on each side
- outlet needs to be replaced with GFCI - Note: no ground; Gerald suggests decommissioning and installing new grounded plug in wall just above counter; go into wall from other side, need to locate grounded location
- all exposed bulb fixtures need be replaced with covered fixtures (2x)
Mezzanine "Book Room"
- 4"x4" Outlets affixed to top of Electrical subpanel must be removed from subpanel, and affixed to balcony (code violation) (3x)
Clear everything 3' in front of electrical subpanel including all cords, lighitng, etc--> double check periodically
acquire & install cover for light (fixture takes glass orb / cover around bulb, it is missing)
- extend balcony railing to out in front of balcony hatch - on E side of R&J balcony (building & osha safety)
- Patch long thinnish strip above door where conduit is exposed.
Patch hole near floor in NW corner of this room near door jamb.<--needs another coat but effectively done
- Patch small hole in ceiling corner above ticket window where new conduit was run.
- install new outlet (existing is cracked and not attached to wall
- cover floor sink behind front counter area w minimum 3/4" plywood cut out and sealant (trip hazard/health)
- build secure mailbox
- 4'x2' light fixture panel cover & replace light fixture
- bathroom: Replace light fixture (sub-8') with standard caged bell-jar type
- between fridges: Lock roofer's ladder (that lives b/t fridges in balcony) to wall.
kitchenette: replace CFL bulb in kitchen with 'safe' LED (silicone-wrapped kind) spot shape - e.g. for food safety if CFL breaks http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-60W-Equivalent-Soft-White-A19-A-Line-Spiral-CFL-Light-Bulb-2-Pack-E-434357/203001435
- cover exposed wires in east wall (near bookshelf). can use a plate
- get clear cover to put over wall switch for old electric timer in wall in big bookshelf unit in south wall of TL
- south wall: close holes in basement wall where opened to remove mold.
- LibLens room ventilation doesn't work. people can suffocate in there.
clear remaining junk
- Acquire & install light fixture covers for the 4' flourescent fixtures in basement offices (bunker rooms) - roughly ~48"x16".
- install protective bulb covers over remaining working 8' flourescents: 6x
- replace bare-bulb fixture with covered fixture
- re-attach and restore service to entire strip of 8' flourescents along west wall (closest to sudo) that had been decommissioned
acquire and affix 1'x1' ceiling tiles in NW corner of basement, so lighting fixture & strip of lights can be re-connected. ~120 tiles
Cut & attach drywall AND then also affix 1'x1' ceiling tiles to exposed ceiling areas in basement (2 areas)
- Replace bad ballast in any 8' flourescent fixture that is not turning on. If not sure try lights in it that do work in another fixture.
hallway: install paper towel dispenser and paper towels
entire room perimeter - 5LB ABC fire extinguishers at correct height every ~75' - starting w under each exit sign
created dedicated space for storing excess lumber (long pieces), pipe, metal pieces, etc so they are not in jumbles (fire code).
- west wall - run more 3/4" conduit further down west wall. Must know code.
run new conduit / circuits to reduce excessive extension cord usage (fire code)
- west closet: clean up & seal west wall
- west closet: put bulb covers over the 2x 4' flourescents
- west closet: put bulb covers over the 2x 4' flourescents in annex/closet
- west closet: replace ballast in flourescent fixture in this room
- east closet: cover exposed octogon junction box in ceiling with appropriate octogon plate
- east closet: replace exposed wiring from new LED fixture to ceiling with armored flex or EMT
- light switch cover near 48th street door should be replaced by one with less-sharp edges (better-sized)
giant lateral file cabinet needs to be removed / find a better home somewhere JOHN GIVENS TO REMOVE - email photo
- Trace & label ALL elec outlets in this room
- A/V instructions need to be made for home stereo / speaker setup, mixer in crows nest etc. in this room
- West exit door (top landing to 48th st staircase) needs be panic bar'd
- does it? this door does not latch
- install closer to main (east) door of disco room
- install closer to west / emergency exit door of disco room
remove or permanently mount ALL LARGE UNMOUNTED PLATE GLASS MIRRORS in this room: safety hazard
hole in wall in west staircase down to 48th needs be covered
plate to be installed to cover exposed ceiling wires immediately in front of 48th st street door leading up to disco room
crow's nest west wall: exposed electrical wires / fixture needs to be covered (and traced)
- replaced busted circuit breaker in every electrical panel (like in the 42 breaker panel) with either working breaker or factory blanks.
- remove 2x6 on ceiling on south side of room (move or cover all PB stuff)
need panic bars
needs to be hung, closers, panic bars
- install doorstops (located in secure storage)
cafe-basement (big white door)
- needs closer
- fix panic bar
- needs rehang, closer, panic bar, lock
- if possible, put closer on this door (may not be possible)
mezzanine book room
- Replace door handle with non-locking handle.
Install real doorknob, remove latch
- replace locking main door to Phat Beets in hallway with twenty minute solid-core (fire-code)
- put closer on main door to PB
- to hallway: closer
- to ballroom: closer
balance ballroom fans
Determine fix for leaking sink in 3-sink (weld?) - southmost sink (on left if you are behind bar)
- Install floor sink under 3-sink as per health code
- Make main (east) door to this room better fitting / gasketed against all air gaps so it functions for soundproofing
- rebalance fan
- ensure balcony hatch is robust enough to support 300lb standing weight
- Refinish & airgap-seal east wall above loft in this room so room functions as soundproofing / air barrier to exterior of bldg
- make north door to romeo & juliet balcony airtight (or better fitting) for turning this room into a soundproofing barrier
- active ventilation needs to be wired & installed (exhaust) in current ventilation window
- install door stop so the door can be propped open sometimes.
- Create wider storage openings under stage. Not insubstantial. See stage storage build plan.
- Install threshold plate to base of jamb (no more than 1/2" high as per ADA) to cut down on sound from ballroom
- install gaskets to door jambs to cut down on sound.
- Install door closer
- Resurface kitchen floor, cover with quarry tile, or seal / treat concrete
- Fix or replace corroded window frames along shattuck
- Cut in mop sink in westmost pantry area
- Acquire and install tankless water heater, check gas line diameter & exhaust ductwork
Purchase and affix Class-K extinguisher at correct height
- Cover exposed wiring in FNB locked-pantry ceiling (with e.g. metal plate)
- Install Ansul fire-suppression in hood
- Replace entire 4' flourescent light fixture closest to stove (has 1x broken tube holder)
- Acquire makeup air into kitchen (remove desk fan from duct, replace with something to code - 95% of hood CFM)
- Put closers on both basement kitchen doors
- steam clean stove hood
- Knock out / expand west kitchen wall to next-west supporting pipe
- Remove firred-out drywall, cover with FRP
- fix broken glass pane in corner at shattuck
- between fridges: get an exterior outlet plastic cover for 4"x4" outlet box here, so outlets do not get wet if it rains when roof hatch is open
- ~6" high barrier along balcony (to stop drinks etc from being knocked off onto those in cafe)
- bathroom: install ceiling exhaust fan
- Get clear cover to put over wall switch for old electric timer in wall in big bookshelf unit in south wall of TIL
test linoleum for asbestos content
remove linoleum (may need to hire certified abatement company if asbestos present)
- sand wood floor and seal with water based polyurethane
- all A/V & musical equipment (including in crow's nest) needs to be recorded (serial #s) and ownership determined
ensure remaining shelving along north wall of disco room is fixed/affixed more safely
- pendant lights should probably be raised a bit higher up (low priority)
- pendant light switch(es): consider replacing with dimmers
- lightswitch cover near 48th st door should be replaced with one with less-sharp edges (better-sized)
- weight load for high-up triangular shelves in corners to be assessed (julia) to determine if speakers etc can be placed there