Difference between revisions of "Welcome to the Omni Commons"
Revision as of 16:09, 3 November 2015
The Omni Commons is a 100% volunteer-run and horizontally-organized community space. We're always open to new volunteers, especially in this critically formative period! Check out our open Working Groups and see where you might want to plug in, donate items from our WishList, or check our ToDo list for other opportunities to help us learn, organize and grow!
(on the Archival Calendar)
Omni Oakland Commons
A space in Oakland, California collectively stewarded by a group of local, collective-process based groups. See our Founding Document to learn more about our values and how we work!
Omni Oakland Commons is comprised of several Bay Area collectives. Its express purpose is to build consensus among member collectives with minimal possible bureaucracy for the administration of a common space and sharing of resources for the use and stewardship of the greater community. Each collective puts forth a delegate to participate in the consensus process.
The delegates do not function as any sort of governing body for the groups involved in any general sense. There are no senators. Their only and sole point is to reach consensus on the use of the space, how to pay bills, resolve any conflicts between the groups in the space, interface with the state, banks, authorities and map out the logistical dissemination of the collective work needed to maintain the space as a commons open to the surrounding community: That's it.
- What kind of groups?
- Worker Owned
- Offer value to the public for free or sliding scale
- What core values do groups share?
- Standing in solidarity with all oppressed people
- Cultures of consent, against rape, violence & exploitation
- The survival & thrival of our communities and neighborhoods
- Striving for social, economic & environmental justice
- Maintaining an active, publicly accessible commons
- Fostering radical discourse and education
- Removing barriers to technical innovation and scientific inquiry by providing needed equipment and space for individual and group learning.
- Providing a venue for innovative cultural production