Dear Friends and supporters of the Omni Commons.
All of us at the Omni Commons wish you, our friends and supporters, a safe and healthy holiday season. This has been a difficult and challenging year for so many people because of the pandemic and resulting economic crisis. It has been and continues to be difficult and challenging for those of us at the Omni Commons. That’s why we’re asking you to make a generous donation to our Campaign to save the Omni Commons, which continues to face a financial challenge.
Four years ago, the collectives that make up the Omni Commons obtained a loan to purchase the building at 4799 Shattuck Avenue in North Oakland. Since then, we have offered event space to the wider community and workspace to collectives on a sliding-scale basis. The Shelter-in-Place order issued in mid-March in response to the pandemic, as well as subsequent restrictions, have prohibited the gatherings that rent our event space and provide half of the income to make our monthly loan payments and keep the Omni Commons open.
We have been able to keep the building open for the essential services that some of our collectives provide to the community. Additionally, we collaborated in forming the North Oakland Mutual Aid Drive together with other community organizations. The Omni has become a local distribution site for the curbside and low-income communities, disproportionately people of color, in North Oakland. We’re using our ballroom and entrance hall to gather canned food, water, masks, hand sanitizer and other items, and then distribute these items to those who need them.
While the Omni Commons continues to keep the building open for our collectives to offer essential services, we now face a big challenge. In the midst of pandemic restrictions limiting our income, we must refinance the original five-year loan on the building by May 1, 2021. We’re working hard to save enough money to show lenders that we are able to make loan payments until restrictions are lifted and it’s safe to open up event rentals again. So, we’re asking you, our friends and supporters, to make a generous contribution to our GoFundMe campaign to Save the Omni Commons. If you can make a contribution to help us through this crisis, we will thank you from the bottom of our hearts.
Love and solidarity,
The Omni Commons Collectives
Acta Non Verba
Chiapas Support Committee
Counter Culture Labs
Food not Bombs
Global Women’s Strike
What if one of the largest community centers and venue spaces in the Bay Area was run in a spirit of radical generosity, by a volunteer collective where everybody is a leader? We're trying to do just that.
We are nine Bay Area collectives with a shared political vision of more equitable commoning of resources and meeting human needs over private interests or corporate profit:
- Acta Non Verba is ... in need of a blurb
- Chiapas Support Committee supports autonomous health care and education in Zapatista communities.
- Counter Culture Labs is a citizen science and DIYbio space that is open sourcing biology.
- Food Not Bombs has been bringing free food to parks, political events, neighborhood gatherings, and social centers since 1991.
- FYE is a creative coalition and collaborative platform specializing in Space Activation, Event Curation, Workshops & Pop-Ups
- Global Women's Strike - Omni Collective is an international network working toward the return of military spending to the community starting with women, the main caregivers everywhere.
- Liberated Lens is a radical film & video collective dedicated to social change.
- Sudo Room is a place to build, learn, reclaim technology for the people, and create alternatives to the tech industry
- Sudo Mesh is ... in need of a blurb
Read more on our wiki.
The easiest ways to join Omni are:
- Donate money to keep the place open
- Come to an event on our calendar
- Get our email announcements
- Contact us with questions or feedback
If you have more time, you can:
- Join a member collective
- Join a working group
- Use the space for your own event or meeting
- Help out with somebody else's event
- Join our many email lists
- Come to our general meetings (1st & 3rd thursdays, 7pm)
- Buy us toilet paper or take out the trash. No,seriously.
If you're feeling ambitious...
- You can form a new collective, or your existing collective can become a member collective
- Read our complete, detailed history of meeting notes going back to 2013.
See our full calendar here!