Event:2014/02/27 Omni Delegates Meeting
(Redirected from 2014-02-27)Jump to navigation Jump to search
The printable version is no longer supported and may have rendering errors. Please update your browser bookmarks and please use the default browser print function instead.
- Present: David (BAPS), David B. (Bookstore Cafe & BAPS human rights observer status), Andrew (Hacker Spa), Olive (SALTA/Dancers), Niki (Bookstore Cafe), Mara (SALTA/Dancers), Jeremy (ONL), Yar (Sudo Room)
- Missing, presumed eaten by narwhals: Otis, Lauren
- David Keenan reads: Public School vision
- Mara reads mission: Dancers vision
- Andrew reads: Hacker Spa vision
- Niki reads: Bookstore/Cafe vision
- Jeremy speaks: "ONL highlights local culture & passion"
- Yar reads: Sudoroom vision
- Niki suggests: That the Building Bloc cobbles together one statement from all the delegates' statements
- Andrew: And there's already omnicollective.org. Let's make a running list of alternative names.
- David suggests not bikeshedding now (vis-a-vis names)
- digesting our divers visions into one vision
- Mara: who wants to work on it?
- Niki: lets put this together (synthesize visions into one) BEFORE next omni meeting so we can vote on it next time
- David says we should keep promotion/marketing in mind. succinct byline to agree on.
- David Brazil suggests we formally consent on his writeup of our raison-detat
- we should modify the list of groups present/recognized
- Niki suggests we also start thinking about drafting:
- Safe space policy
- Code of conduct
- Conflict resolution process
- DK suggests we refer to Sudoroom's
- AK Press is maybe in?
- buying is a lot more attractive narrative than renting
- if you're buying it: we're taking it off the market! radical ownership enclave!
- if you're renting it: "help us pay our rent"
- is it ok to post pictures publically yet?
- DK is wary of tying publicity to the omni, that one building
- Niki suggests we not be officially called Omni Collective
- but make it clear our current primary project is acquiring that building
- donors will ask about this. they can't give you money unless you exist.
- needs to be resolved before fundraising starts
- Disambiguation of incorporation vs 501c3
- we need to write bylaws
- Lawyer friend is not available for the next 2 meetings
- many anonymous donors have offered support already, in particular with "getting over the hump" of first/last/deposit etc
- some might have agendas / strings attached
- they tend to not want to be the only one with "skin in the game"
- need a pool of donors sharing the risk.
- some might not like our politics...
- "i'm really wary of depending on anonymous donors"
- fundraising should be done in the open
- perception of backroom deals
- "if you want strings attached, maybe this isn't the project for you"
- there are two fundraising approaches, maybe they are both valid. two paths.
- private anonymous donors are compatible with the public ones
- DB says if someone can give us 20k to get us in the space in a few months, that's worth it
- andrew thinks we should just try to fundraise for the 700k
- Niki thinks that will be a lot easier once we're in the space
Goals for next meeting
- pare down our visions into one page that is appropriate as corporate bylaws
- this enables incorporating in sacramento, which enables a bank account
- decide a name so we can register a domain name and web presence
- next meeting in or around BAPS at 7pm march 6 (tentatively)