Difference between revisions of "Access"
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(→public areas: adds section)
(→staffing: adds section)
|Line 32:||Line 32:|
Revision as of 22:33, 31 January 2015
Needs and Concerns
Here is a list of specific needs and concerns about access to the space, including the general public. There may include analysis, reflection, and potential responses:
From david brazil's "open to the public" manifesto
- Need to establish a framework now, before we are "open to the public" and before it may become a problem.
- Hours should be fixed, e.g. 12noon - 6pm, 7 days a week
- Hours should be extended as exceptions, e.g. for special events held at special hours
- DK: Staffing and hours should be differentiated
- MS: Rectify hours with Welcoming committee "door shifts": 10am-2pm, 2pm-6pm, 6pm-10pm
- What does "public area" mean?
- DK: Concerns include:
- what it means legally to be "open to the public"
- the use of terms "public area" conflicts with specific uses and zoning for areas, e.g. the basement
- Areas that are "unstaffed" should not be called "Public" or "Open"
- DK: Concerns include:
- Public Areas should be:
- La Commune
- the basement
- the upstairs kitchen and hallway
- the upstairs den and ballroom
- In order to be open to the public, Omni Commons should be staffed.
- Any "staff" should actually be volunteers, namely from member collectives.
- Staffing requirements should pertain to a member collective's status (as a member), as well as size.
- Staffing exists to address crime and antisocial behavior, related to being open to the general public.
- Any discrete major area / room within Omni deemed 'open' or 'public' should be staffed in order for it to be considered 'open' or 'public', except:
- A member can use 'open' or 'public' areas when unstaffed
- A guest of a member can use 'open' or 'public' areas as long as the member hosting the guest is physically present with them in that room (or area).
- Omni Commons should have open hours
- If there are open hours, then Omni Commons should be staffed for those open hours.
- La Commune, as the primary entrance to the Omni Commons, is the most important location to be staffed for any open hours.
- There should be opening and closing procedures, which may include participation from La Commune members
- The Welcoming Committee should coordinate any volunteer staffing.