Parking will likely be a significant factor in our negotiations with city planners and the neighborhood. Having a solid plan for bike parking may help alleviate some of those concerns.
- Someone should read Oakland's bike parking regulations!
Indoor bike storage
Regular building occupants should have priority access. If we estimate typical (non-event) daily peak occupancy at around 50 people for the whole building, then indoor storage for 20-30 bikes seems reasonable.
- Location: SE corner of Cafe, between entrance and door to Ballroom.
- Size: up to 440 sqft (preferably less!)
- # Bikes: up to 48-88 (5-9 sqft/bike).
- Pros: Eats up prime Cafe space.
- Cons: Tons of space available.
- Location: Storage room in SE corner of building, next to ballroom former entry. "Storage " on map.
- Size: awkward space, around 144 sqft.
- # Bikes: 16-28 (5-9 sqft/bike).
- Pros: Out of the way.
- Cons: Small and awkward. Haven't checked out space in person! May not be feasible and/or require some construction.
Outdoor bike parking
For regular events/classes. Aim for ~50 outside spots?
City of Oakland!
- Bicycle Parking - Includes instructions for how to request a free rack to be placed on City-owned property, event bike parking requirements, and more!
- Bicycle Parking Rack Guidelines
- APBP Bicycle Parking Guidelines
- Bicycle Parking Specifications
- Guidelines for the Design and Management of Bicycle Parking Facilities
- Bike Parking Design Guidelines
Along building facade
Note that there are some trees in front of the building that would cut into bike storage space.
Some of these options may not be allowed by the City, depending on exactly where the property line is, and where the public sidewalk starts!
- Size: 80 ft on 48th Street, max 83 ft on Shattuck (minus trees)
Option 1: hanging hooks
- # Bikes: up to 108 (at 1.5 ft per hook)
- Pros: Good use of vertical space. Only takes up ~3.5 ft around outside of building.
- Cons: Biggest eyesore option (or biggest statement about importance of bike use!) Limited to spacing between hooks (~1.5 ft between hooks); hard to cram in more bikes.
Option 2: racks parallel or diagonal to building
See "Side walk" options below. will need to follow all the same regulations as installing racks at the curb.
The sidewalk on 48th Street is 12' wide. On Shattuck, 10' wide at the narrowest points. 48th Street has 6 newly planted trees along the curb, with 14' in between them.
- Size: 5 x 14 = 70 ft on 48th Street, max 83 ft on Shattuck
Option 1: parallel bike rack
Bikes parallel to parked cars. City of Oakland requires sidewalk at least 8 1/2 ft wide; may be reduced to 8 ft.
- # Bikes: up to 44, based on City of Oakland inverted U racks, 6.5 ft per rack, 2 bikes per rack.
- Pros: Easier to scale how much sidewalk we're using
- Cons: Lose some space between bike racks for access
Option 2: diagonal bike rack on 48th + parallel on Shattuck
City of Oakland requires sidewalk at least 135" wide (11 1/4 ft) for diagonal arrangement. Sidewalk on 48th Str is wide enough (12ft), but has trees planted at the curb, leaving 5 bays of 14ft each between trees. Should be good for 4 (or 5?) inverted U loops each; 8-10 bikes per bay.
- # Bikes: 40 (50?) on 48th Str. +24 at parallel racks on Shattuck.
- Pros: Packs in bikes much more tightly
- Cons: Eats up more space on sidewalk
- should take into account La Commune outside seating start on one end either Shattuck at event entrance or 48th Backspace Entrance.
- 48th is much nicer for sitting outside
- Event needs bikeparking more Omni-Mebers should be able to walk half a block.
In-Street Bicycle Parking Corral
- In-Street Bicycle Parking Corrals
- City of Oakland, In-Street Bicycle Parking Corral Program Guidelines
- In-Street Bike Parking Corral Standards (Typical Layouts)
One rack every 32", on a diagonal. Each rack fits two bikes. One standard car parking space fits 5 racks - 10 bikes.
Overflow bike parking for events
Would the City allow us to convert some parking spaces on the street to bike parking? A moveable bike rack could probably store >10 bikes in the space of a single car.
- Only required for events > 5000 attendees.
These are some examples of actual real-world bike storage/parking places
Bike storage room at Watergate
- Type: locked room
- Configuration: hanging hooks, 1.5ft apart
- Size: 16.5 x 24 ft, 396 sqft.
- # Bikes: 44
- Sqft/bike: 9