Configuring a Riseup List
The Omni uses a lot of email lists on riseup.net.
Here's some things you can do after you create one.
Visit your list page
If your list is named "omni-something" your list URL is: https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/omni-something
Make sure you are logged in!
Make it visible/joinable
If people can't see the page, they are effectively "invite-only", and the only way to join is emailing an owner asking nicely. When people can see the page, that means they can request to join by pressing a button. Much lower barrier to entry.
- Click on: Admin -> Edit list config -> List definition
- Under Visibility of the list, make sure it says: The list is visible in the directory of lists. (anyone)
Let members post freely
By default, everybody is moderated. We should only need to moderate posts from non-members.
- Click on: Admin -> Edit list config -> Sending/reception
- Under Who can send messages, make sure it says: List members may post, other email is held for moderation. (members_or_moderated)
Create a public description
This way people can read what your group is about.
1) Review the description
I notice some of them are worded as personal messages like "Hello Riseup I would like a list for this reason". They probably don't make it clear that this would become public text!
- Click: Admin -> Customizing -> HTML pages -> Edit List description
- Make sure it's something you actually want new people and the public to see
- Press Save
2) Make it public
If you don't make the description public, people will see a confusing message about "private information" even on a public-facing list.
- Click on: Admin -> Edit list config -> Privileges
- Under Who can view list information, make sure it says: The list info page is publically visible. (anyone)