It is especially the burden and responsibility of those who benefit from systemic oppression to work toward dismantling those very structures that enable privilege and afford domination. In feminist movement, all who are willing and able must learn and teach (listen and speak) to educate ourselves and our communities, about patriarchy and other forms of oppression. There is no solutionism here, but we must simply do something to begin to dismantle these oppressive structures, actions, and conditions that hold us all back.
- Feminism is for Everybody - bell hooks - https://excoradfeminisms.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/bell_hooks-feminism_is_for_everybody.pdf
- Men Explain Things to Me - Rebecca Solnit - https://rhet306fall13.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/men-explain-things-to-me.pdf
- White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack - Peggy McIntosh - http://amptoons.com/blog/files/mcintosh.html
- Tyranny of Structurelessness - Jo Freeman - http://www.jofreeman.com/joreen/tyranny.htm
- A Feminist Critique of Marx - Silvia Federici - http://endofcapitalism.com/2013/05/29/a-feminist-critique-of-marx-by-silvia-federici/
Works To Be Reviewed
- The Slut Manifesto - Liz Henry - https://gist.github.com/wrought/0b052875a68fc3ed3456
- This Bridge Called My Back: Writings by Radical Women of Color - Cherrie Moraga and Gloria Anzaldua - https://curadicalreading.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/cherrc3ade-moraga-gloria-anzaldc3baa-this-bridge-called-my-back-writings-by-radical-women-of-color.pdf
- Feminism Without Borders - Chandra Talpade Mohanty - http://www.unm.edu/~unmsc/Documents/Feminism%20Without%20Borders.pdf
- Caliban and the Witch - Silvia Federici - https://libcom.org/files/Caliban%20and%20the%20Witch.pdf
- Tools for White Guys who are Working for Social Change and other people socialized in a society based on domination - Chris Crass - http://www.coloursofresistance.org/734/tools-for-white-guys-who-are-working-for-social-change-and-other-people-socialized-in-a-society-based-on-domination/
- Male Privilege Checklist - Alas! (Barry?) - http://web.archive.org/web/20131128063008/http://amptoons.com/blog/category/the-male-privilege-checklist/
Men's Reading Circle
Check back here for information about a men's reading circle that seeks to engage with these texts and each other in recognition of the necessity to dismantle patriarchy in our lives and communities.
- Why a reading circle? - These texts are a basic tool for communication about histories, experiences, and concepts that may be excluded from the dominant culture. Some even approach the topics of patriarchy, sexism, mysoginy, intersecting oppression, feminism, etc. Forming a reading circle can create an encouraging environment for participants to intentionally engage with the texts, as well as an opportunity to connect new concepts with participants' lived experiences. This is a direct form of literate peer-oriented learning that is relevant in any community.
- Are only men invited? - It is important to respect and hold space for groups that have a shared experience to commune and find the footing to speak and reflect. Folks who identify as "men" or who have lived experience as "men" stand to greatly benefit from listening, sharing, and engaging with peers on the topics of the reading list above.