Event:2014/08/11 Fundraising Conversation
7pm we will discuss a plan to do some nominal fundraising!
Experience we bring to this? Danny (CoFed, several fundraising campaigns), Margaretha (lots of grant writing/fundraising, urban commons projects: Hayes Valley Farm [20K kickstarter], Bloom Justice, web and graphic design), Cere (passing hats at events), Athena (worked in nonprofits, but not fundraising), David (Alt Exposure grant, community investors / donors / loaners etc; excited about block grants from our district, human relations, specific project fundraising), Elaine (nonprof$ for artists w/ disabilities - grant writing and program coordinating; other event space in Mass, fundraising for a small press), Jenny (sudo room and sudo mesh; Gittip, crowdfunding, positioning ourselves to be given big grants at the end of the year).
David: Getting the 1023 important for getting 501c3 and major tax deductible donations; writing off rent as a 501c3 renting to for-profits
- 3 mayoral candidates coming here to debate in a next month
- Use Oakland Nights Live to help with our fundraising and donations
- Article in the Bay Guardian
- Policy on admitting new collectives, space and rent
- Danny: What's the latent potential for people to want to support Omni?
- Margaretha: General fund or specific funds?
- How can I help? x2
- Athena: How to bring all the collectives together to represent the Omni, at say, a fundraising event?
- Cere: Isn't the 1023 pretty trivial? Show and tell? Why can't we start having 75 person events?
- Cere: What about soundproofing? Would be rad to have loud events here that wouldn't bother other things happening?
- Elaine: Timeline? How can I most effectively contribute?
- Jenny: Newbie Night - can we make this Omni-wide? What does each collective contribute to the Commons - cultivating this message. How do we
engage people who might contribute funds to also see it as *their* space and participate?
- Jenny: How do we get the masses to contribute the cost of a cup of coffee every week?
- One-page financial overview
1. Weekly / Monthly membership donations
- What is Omni membership?
2. Online donations
- Campaigns / Kickstarters
- Donate button
- Fundraising Gala
- Weekly Newbie Night
4. Omni-produced events that make money
- Shows (taking a cut)
- Thurston Moore, The Melvins, MGMT
5. Booked events
- Weddings, etc;
- Space Rental
6. End-of-the-year campaign
- Very conventional, but end of tax year is very
- Corporate matching
- Rich families
7. Capital Campaign
- Find the rich believers
- Grant-writing hackathon
What are the best few things we can prioritize?
- Inner circle: direct and intimate connections
- Wider audiences: eg; global hackerspace community, arts community, people writing about or giving ted talks about these topics
- Hosting events / "stunts":
- Launch night, leverage press, target various large communities
- What is the transformation we're promising?
Call to Action
- How can people help us to the work?
- Newbie Night
- Tiny art sale
- Coordinate Newbie Night for First Friday
- Study upcoming Temescal community events and coordinate with them
- David talking to Dan Kalb about block grants
- Talk to Helen about FNB fiscal sponsorship [Jenny]
- FOCUS ALL ACTIVITY ON AUG21st POTLUCK and then replicate successes at a larger scale
AUG 21 POTLUCK PARTICIPATION NOTES
Synthesized from many post-its late; s we discussed on Monday night, this potluck is a great way for all Omni member groups and working groups to take one step together towards collective unity.
There are two areas of tasks:
Omni presence (pun!):
- suggest each Omni member group have 2+ representatives present
- organize set-up and cleanup volunteers
- suggest everyone "bring a friend or two"
- create half-sheet "About Omni" handouts (building on existing copy on website, wiki, etc)
- welcome participation far more than donation! let's build a beloved community
- send email through Omni announce list
- suggest each Omni member group email their list and post on social media
- create event using Omni Facebook page (necessary to engage regular FB users)
- create simple image for posting on social media – example attached! Improvements welcome!
- create "potluck page" or "soon-to-open" page on the Omni website
- consider posting to local event calendars, inviting press, etc – needs discussion
- invite specific groups?
- prospective member groups (RLL, Rise Above printing, and others??)
- movement allies (EBASE, Causa Justa Just Cause, Phat Beets Produce, Ella Baker Center, Oakland Rising..... etc?)
- city & neighborhood reps?