Event:2018/01/04 Delegates Meeting

From Omni Commons
Revision as of 13:32, 5 January 2018 by Lynnhowe (talk | contribs) (Created page with "Omni Delegates' Meeting - 4 January 2018 7pm-9pm === Agenda === * Introductions, Meeting Roles, and Delegates Count [10 minutes] * Announcements [5 minutes] * Bans [5 minu...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Omni Delegates' Meeting - 4 January 2018 7pm-9pm

Agenda

  • Introductions, Meeting Roles, and Delegates Count [10 minutes]
  • Announcements [5 minutes]
  • Bans [5 minutes]
  • Working Group Report-Backs [15 minutes]
  • Member Collective Updates (10 minutes)
  • Proposal: Sin Fronteras Cafe [20 minutes]
  • Proposal: Annual Board Meetings for OC and OOC [5 minutes]
  • Discussion: Check-in on Village Interim Space Use Proposal [5 minutes]
  • Discussion: Library [5 minutes]
  • Freezer

Introductions

Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Affiliation

  • Julian/J BAPS, Troy/yo Library, Robb/he Sudo, Ken/ CCL, Alicia/CSC, Maryann/CSC, Rachel/sheher]GWS, Jenny/sudo/finance/building/comms, David/building, laura - late and remote

Meeting Roles

  • Facilitator/s: Julian
  • Explanation of hand signals: "deaf applause", "raised hand", "point of process", "direct response"(wildcard), etc.
  • Stacktaker: phil
  • Timekeeper: Troy
  • Notetaker/s: jenny, dk, robb
  • Vibe Reader: Robb
  • Next meeting's facilitator(s): Troy

Delegates

  • ABDC: active
  • BAPS: Julian
  • CCL: Ken
  • CSC: Mary Ann
  • FNB: Joe (remote), Phil
  • GWS: Rachel
  • LL: inactive
  • Sudo: robb
  • TIL: inactive
  • GCEA: not present
  • Quorum: 6/8

Announcements

  • 2 weeks into kitchen fundraising crowdfunding campaign. more info on wiki (search for 'kitchen').
  • 5 new people at the orientation tonight
  • potluck at 6pm for folx?!
  • Rachel won't be able to attend in two weeks. Rachel will be the delegate but won't be able to join.
    • Jenny - you can weigh in in advance of the meeting
  • Troy - possible security risk - cops just hanging out every night across the street
    • Ken - BID had breakins during the day

Bans

  • Phil - no new bans, but concerning late last week. report back on mediation at the next Delegates assemby
  • Troy asks about Kwik - DK speaks a bit to the lengthy mediation process that lapsed
    • phil: calls himself Bob also, claims to work with FNB Sounds like Kwickness who is no longer FNB
  • Add to list of people asked to leave

Working Group Report-Backs

Building & permits

Meetings: 1st & 3rd Mondays @ 6pm

Commons

Communications

Meetings: Second and Fourth Wednesdays at 6pm

  • weekly calendar emails have now been going out weekly
  • we have a new Comms WG member, Evelyn, who joined after attending a Waffles and Zapatismo.

Finance

Meetings: Currently conjoined with Fundraising, 2nd & 4th Mondays at 6pm *

  • requested that collectives pay rent by the 25th of the month to prevent we bottom out at that time of the month.
  • mortgage recurring payments was changed to the 8th, that way it gives us an extra week.
  • in 2017 made on average about -1600 a month. we didn't to too strong from grants in 2017.
  • PG&E went down ~$500


Fundraising

Meetings: Currently conjoined with Finance, 2nd & 4th Mondays at 6pm

  • Jenny - been researching bitcoin & other funding sources
  • Laura's been talking to the Peace & Development Fund
  • bring in new fundraising ideas! next meeting is Monday @ 6pm!

Member Collective Updates

What is going on with your collective? What are you working on? What have you accomplished? Any events coming up? Any difficulties you are encountering that you need help with?

ABDC

BAPS

CCL

CSC

FNB

GCEA

GWS

LL

Sudo

TIL

Proposal: Sin Fronteras Cafe

Discussion

  • Comment re: cafe (dk): I wanted to make sure that all Omninoms and the Cafe principals realize that for any Health permit to be issued for the cafe (required before coffee can be slung), that per the Alameda County Dept of Health site inspection of Omni, substantial(-ish) renovations will need to happen in both the Trash room and the entrance hall bathroom, not to mention the primary cafe area in the entrance hall. The potential cost and timeline of these building upgrades, and who will pay for them should be clear to all parties. The renovations are inclusive of the following:
    • Trash room:
      • Sewer line and water need to be plumbed into trash room
      • Floor drain
      • Active ventilation to exterior
      • Floor tile & tile up to 4' on wall surfaces
      • Potential slope added to floor towards floor drain
      • Bulding & Health permits for this work
    • Entrance Hall Bathroom:
      • Completion of bathroom improvements (active permits & AMR already pulled)
    • In either the Trash rm or Bathroom:
      • A Mop sink will need to be installed either in the bathroom or in the bathroom
    • In addition, employee lockers as req'd by county health will have to be installed somewhere.
    • These costs are in addition to the improvements required to bring the Cafe service area up to code.
    • Do the cafe folks have any floorplans for the planned improvements to the cafe?
    • Has a proposed lease itself yet been drafted for the Cafe? Should this be included in the proposal?
  • David - this should be included in a lease.
  • Joe: Plumbing in trash room seems like a fatal blow to SinFronteras.
    • Folx: what's the context for this assumption Joe?
    • David - presumably they may have an awareness of this given they've already opened a restaurant
      • The effects to PB & that this may be an eventuality has been previously communicated for
  • David - everyone would benefit from improvements to the trashroom
  • Ken - what about more trash?
    • David - they may require more frequent service
  • Jenny - Sudo has suggested that at the end of each 2-year lease period, that finances be transparently reported and next 2-year lease rental amount reassessed (not arbitrarily but based on some material standard that could be previously discussed and held into control by the regular delegates assembly consensus)
    • Robb - its about half of fair market value for the renting, and its for profit
    • Jenny - also they aren't necessarily familiar with our habits around the entrance hall
  • My comment was based on the cost of that plumbing work. Yes one would expect S F to know about these requirements. Are any of the at the meeting? no
    • as long as it's all contained won't get much hassle. added benefit of increased trash services for commercial waste areas.
  • David - note, we are required to eventually open the original doors.
    • Joe - Do you mean the bricked up doors on 48 st?
      • [Julian: the ones in the entrance hall but bricked up, yes]
  • ken: right now, what is the status?
    • robb: we could agree on it, but still issues that remain to be solved
      • ken: what are those issues:
        • financial transparency, trash room, mop sink
  • Joe We also need agreeements about renting the entry hall when the cafe is operating.
    • Robb - its my recollection that they are fully in accordiance with the Commons WG being in control of the entry hall, and they offered to work on the commons WG.
  • Laura: AT the last meeting, Abad said they are willing to make quarterly fianancial reports; also they have no problem with the entrance hall being used for events and the funds going to the Omni if they are outside events. Yes to what Robb says above.
    • awesome, need to put those into the agreement. also re: joe's point that the entrance hall event rentals be stewarded by the cafe folks Vis-a-Vis the Commons WG (which they participate thru)
  • Rachel - its crucial they know about David's points before they come to a decision
  • Laura: Are all of those things related to construction included in the inspection reports and plan in the Agua Viva info Jenny gave them?
    • Jenny - I don't remember
  • Joe - Just a small thing but needs to be recognized that being if the renters of entry hall want to do food or coffee . . .say for early morning events. I meant if renters of entry want to have their own coffee or food. Just something to note in lease.
  • robb: not part of Omni's mission to make private people money - should they be allowed to book commons space for free for private interests?

Laura: SOrry, I'm not understanding this either. WHat are you specifically concerned about RObb?

  • Laura: They want to have events in the entrance hall but they wont be charging for them. They have events at Akat now and they want to bring that community in to the Omni.
  • Laura: I also urge people to talk to Jose and Abad directly and to invite them to your collective meetings
    • Julian: all agree that makes sense.


Proposal: Annual Board Meetings for OC and OOC (5 mins)

  • via Laura 12/29:

"We are due to have our official annual board meetings for both Omni Commons and Omni Oakland Commons. After discussion among the officers and finance working group, the third Thursday in January seems like the best date. At that meeting we need to accomplish a few things.

  • 1.* All collectives need to name their official OC delegate for the

year. Please choose someone before the annual meeting. It can be the same person or a new person. The role of the delegate is to serve on the Board of Omni Commons; attend the board/delegates meetings; and be a communication liaison between the board and their collective - making sure that issues and proposals that come before the board are discussed at collective meetings, and communicating the consensus or concerns of collective members to the board.

  • 2.* The board must choose officers for another year term - a president,

a secretary, and a treasurer. The current officers - Lynn, President; Jenny, Secretary; Brian, Treasurer - have agreed to serve another term if no one else wants to step up. These positions, especially the secretary and treasurer have a significant amount of responsibility and work involved. I would like to propose that we approve the same three for another term, and also choose three people to serve as president-, secretary- and treasurer-ELECT. The new directors-elect would be mentored and trained by the current officers for the coming year and would then assume the positions next year. Before the annual meeting, please think about who might be a good choice to be an officer or officer-elect (maybe yourself!) and ask them if they would be willing to be nominated. Let me and Lynn know before the meeting.

  • 3.* The new delegates should approve the OC 2018 budget. The draft is

here. <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rvkMc5lmd8PovoViNLdvlrv0tSyvrH7iB0SmGqaFec8/edit?usp=sharing>

  • 4.* We also need to deal with the board and officers for OOC. This was

also discussed at the Finance meeting with the Secretary and Treasurer. At Jesse's recommendation, we are keeping OOC dormant for 4 years so that it will have a clean tax slate to be able to be used for another purpose/by another group.

Right now the OC and OOC boards are the same or mostly the same. This may cause some complications with the IRS if it considers them to be related organizations. We need to run this by Jesse, but it might be best to modify the OOC bylaws about the board and officers to only consist of the three mandatory officers. If we do that at the meeting, we will then need to choose 3 new officers who are different than the OC officers and board members."

Discussion

  • Laura: Really the only actual proposals here are the officer-elect thing and the change in the OOC board thing
  • Jenny summarizes the agenda of the board meeting
  • no questions/concerns
  • Laura: Is there anyone there who might want to be an officer-elect or who knows someone they would like to nominate?
    • Ken - we should have the duties publicly posted for people to review

Discussion: Check-in on Village Interim Space Use Proposal

  • https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Event:2017/12/21_Delegates_Meeting#The_Village_Interim_Space_Use_Proposal
  • Jenny: Bins seem to be in a good spot. Starting to rearrange the office a bit, been working in there occasionally with Needa and Bobby and seems to be a harmonious fit.
  • no one seems to have any objections or questions, seems like consenso
  • jenny: tertiary note that there are at least 3 other significant space issues in the basement we should be addressing if folks have concerns about the village corner...

Discussion: Freezer in the Basement

  • via Phil: Major hazard, creates sparks when plugged in, could
  • robb: initially let's cut the power cord off entirely so no one can plug it in. then just give ed a call, he'll almost definitely be down to help haul it out.


Discussion: Library

via Troy:

  • Troy - I've been working on systematizing the library books
    • Jenny - what happened to Diamond Dave?
  • Robb - a library work party? announce one
    • Troy - that's a great idea.
  • Robb - we have a a book scanner in Sudo via someone, maybe one of the Dannys.
    • Jenny, Ken - there is one at noisebridge he set up that he used last week :D
  • Phil - what's the procedure for taking the books out?
    • Troy - I have a notebook tracking it. seems like for the most part just borrow & return. h
    • Jenny - honor system seems to work pretty well.
  • Robb - what's a good place for the book scanner? media center in the basement
    • Troy & others - agree
  • Troy will announce a library workparty!

Action Items

  • Jenny ping Sin Fronteras re: CCL / Sudo conversation.
    • Laura: I put Jose and Abad in touch with Patrik, Maureen, Leticia, Teresa from CCL to set up a meeting, communicate directly
  • Laura will help Jenny and Brian get together to write up Officer duties

Last Meeting Notes

https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Event:2017/12/21_Delegates_Meeting

End of Meeting