Event:2018/07/06 Delegates Meeting
Omni Delegates' Meeting - 5 July 2018 7pm-9pm
for instructions on preparing and archiving these notes, please see the bottom
- Introductions, Meeting Roles, and Delegates Count [10 minutes]
- Access Check-in [5 minutes]
- Announcements [5 minutes]
- Ken and Gerald presenting new light fixtures going into the basement, could be anywhere, quick mount, LED, can mount 6 in line with 1 plub, low cost. Looking for volunteers to help mount in the basement, then to proceed to other sections of the OMNI.
- Gerald: Saturday forum report back
- Joe: SF Mime Trpupe opens East Bay season Sat 7/7 in Cedar Rose park Berkeley.
- Bans [5 minutes]
- Working Group Report-Backs [15 minutes]
- Member Collective Updates (10 minutes)
- Proposal: Timeless, Infinite Light moves out of Upstairs Corner Space by Aug 15, 2018
- Proposal: Community Statement to Endorse OneFam’s Last Stand on Historic 7th Street: Maintain community control of historic neighborhood space [15 minutes]
- Discussion Z: [10 minutes]
Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Affiliation; any brief announcements; say whether you're a delegate; let us know about any access needs you have†
† Is everybody able to participate fully in this meeting? Do people have unmet needs or concerns?
- Facilitator/s: Rachel
- Explanation of hand signals: "deaf applause", "raised hand", "point of process", "direct response"(wildcard), etc.
- Stacktaker: Almaz
- Notetaker/s: Lynn
- URL of this pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/omninom
- Vibe Reader:
- Next meeting's facilitator(s):
- BAPS: Julian
- CCL: Ken
- FNB: Phil
- GWS: Rachel
- LL: Gerald
- TIL: MJ, Joel
- GCEA: Almaz
- Add to list of people asked to leave
Working Group Report-Backs
Building & permits
Meetings: 1st & 3rd Mondays @ 6pm
- Ken wants to say - there are new LEDs, check em out?
- This group needs help; https://omnicommons.org/lists/listinfo/building
Meetings: First and Third Thursdays at 6pm
- This group needs help:
Meetings: Second and Fourth Wednesdays at 6pm
Meetings: Currently conjoined with Fundraising, 2nd & 4th Mondays at 6pm
Meetings: Currently conjoined with Finance,, 2nd & 4th Mondays at 6pm
Member Collective Updates
What is going on with your collective? What are you working on? What have you accomplished? Any events coming up? Any difficulties you are encountering that you need help with?
- Writing group holding monthy sessions.
- Ken: Cruising for the summer
- Mine troop shows in July as fundraisers. Need volunteers
- Rachel: continue to be part of the poor people's campaign, quite an experience, Lori Nairne 1 year anniversary of her death. There will be a rememberance, August 18, at the Omni.
- Gerald: trying to restructure. Showing Reluctant Radical about the environment; the next film about an island where seagulls go to mate
- Just released a book, poetry, its on the their website
Proposal: Timeless, Infinite Light moves out of Upstairs Corner Space by Aug 15, 2018
Timeless, Infinite Light is in the process of dissolving as a collective. We will need to move out of our space into Omni as we transition out and we found a smaller space that will better suit our current needs. We would like to put in 30-days notice and be fully moved out of our space by August 15th.
We would like to terminate our lease with Omni early. We are currently on a year lease. It would have been better for us to sign a month-to-month lease, but we came to this decision very recently and it wasn't in our minds when we signed the last lease. We would like to pay a pro-rated rate of $150 for our final 15 days in August. We will remove our belongings from the space and clean it out so that it is ready for another collective to move into the space. We would like to have our security deposit of $1000 (which we paid in 2014) returned to us within 30 days of cleaning out the space. We will clean fully with the exception of any materials that the collectives we currently share the space with wish to have remain in the space.
We currently share our space with Chiapas Support Committee and Womens’ Global Strike and will stay in communication with them during this process to make sure the space continues to be usable for them.
We're sad to leave the Omni as we've been a part of it since the beginning, and we're amazed by how far it's come in such a short time. We feel really honored to have been part of so many inspiring events and projects here, and we hope to continue participating in other ways in the future.
- Julian: sorry about this. Should talk about the lease. There is no termination clause in the lease. Julian would interprete that to mean that no clause, no consequence. We should check that
- Phil: Omni rules if there is no collective, then you wouldnt be expected to continue the lease.
- Ken - you said you are stopping as a collective but you are getting a smaller space to continue to function.
- MJ: will take some time to fully dissolve as a collective; the new space will be more like art work work space instead of publishing.
- Ken: you sell the books?
- MJ: we do all the work for the authors, sales, stock, promotion for these marginalized authors. We are in the upstairs space, sharing with GWS and CSC.
- Rachel: we don't know whether we need another space partner or whether the rent will change since we haven't used it much.
- MJ: another collective could move in
- Ken: Is everyone at the Omni ok with this?
- Almaz: someone will have to review the contract agreement.
- Joel: This is our first step in making this move.
- MJ: we are asking for generousity in breaking the lease and in getting pro-rated rate and getting seurity deposit back.
- Julian: I don't see that the delegates/Omni has a choice in oking this request. Don't think it needs to be a proposal
- Almaz: Should be seen by the Finance group esp return of deposit
- Rachel: We need to vote on it.
- Ken: Since there is a formal proposal, we should vote on it. MY understanding is that Omni rules on collective decisions. Makes a motion to vote.
- Julian: should not vote on a first introduction of a proposal
- Almaz: wait for Finance Group to review the details of the lease transaction.
- Julian: could do a straw poll as a sense of how the delegates feel.
- Joe: I agree with voting next delegates meeting which will also allow for finance review.
- Rachel: put this on the agenda for the next meeting.
Proposal: Community Statement to Endorse OneFam’s Last Stand on Historic 7th Street Maintain community control of historic neighborhood space [15 minutes]
We stand with OneFam against eviction!
OneFam is a space operated by working class mostly people of color, where folks feel welcomed and included. The displacement of black and brown residents and businesses by more affluent white residents is now the norm everywhere, including the once vibrant 7th Street. OneFam is the last pre-gentrification business in this area, and is being illegally and unjustly evicted.
OneFam/Bikes 4 Life and 7th St Rev Cafe are important to the local community.
We want the eviction process to be stopped and for landlord Arnold Fields to sit down with OneFam to work out a plan so they can stay in their space and business and so he can be compensated for his investment.
We want OneFam to stay and continue to operate. Sincerely, the undersigned,
- Julian: I can read the statement.
- Gerald: That little spot is the last corner on 7th street that has any expression of black, culture, music, bike place. This is the essence of gentrification. What are you calling for - because we want to support real people who have been part of this community for years.DSA will be supporting them.
- Julian reads the letter attached to the endorsement.
- Almza: how long has OneFam been in business?
- Julian: at least since 2009. Current situation been in process for months. Landlord claims back rent is due: he says 9 months, OneFam says since January but it doesn't account for costs of repairs they have done or needed or services canceled.
- MJ: the complexity is there, but as a last stronghold of black people/culture, there is no reason why Omni shouldn't support them.
- Ken: Curious about whether this strategy will aggravate the situation or make it better.
- Phil: It is common to have these liens.
- MJ: if they are asking for support, we should follow their request.
- Almaz: asking for our support, we should do it?
- Rachel: is this part of a public campaign they are running?
- Julian: yes, 7000 signatures already, going to court, every possible route is being checked including a way to pass a legacy status on businesses and more.
- Rachel: Take it back to our collectives and vote at the next meeting. Individuals can also sign this on your own - he will send an individual one out.
Example Discussion Item
Last Meeting Notes
= End of Meeting = 8:19 pm
- please archive these meeting notes by copying the entire pad contents onto the omni wiki
- then please erase the contents of this pad
- then please cut & paste a blank template from here: https://omnicommons.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Delegates_Meeting_Notes_Template&action=edit
- previous notes are archived here: https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Meetings