Event:2019/04/06 Kitchen Meeting
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Omni Kitchen Meeting - 6 April 2019
previous meeting notes: https://omnicommons.org/wiki/2019/03/16_Kitchen_Meeting
- yar, laura, phil, ken
- phil has been working hard to dismantle old stove, needs more help
- needs to buy wd-40 rust
- did toan get flooring quotes?
- did david get quote on replacing the windows?
- architect jim gallagher met with david and looked at kitchen, has a fee agreement to make CAD drawings
- did joe look into ventilation, hot water & gas capacity requirements?
- yar will try and validate whether exhaust fan is explosive -- TODAY
- we had electricity party 2 weeks ago
- low temp (bleach) vs high temp dishwashng machines: we wanted high temp because people don't like bleach/chlorine. but david says that's moot because health code requires hand washed dishes to be treated with bleach/clorine. and that high temp requires a hood which limits floorplan options. yar thinks handwashed dishes should just wait in a rack to be machine washed like everything else.
- racks like this https://www.etundra.com/kitchen-supplies/warewashing/dish-racks/
- article comparing methods: https://purozone.com/maintenance-news/077pa2s1z8f0snys8m55l2r13zegvu
- seems like low temp is a lot cheaper and easier and safer in some ways. maybe we could start with that and if people really don't like the bleach we could upgrade later. yar personally sprays bleach on all the rat shit i find, i don't think it's reasonable to expect a bleach-free building at least until we have a rat-free building also. which is years away. so let's just do the easier cheaper option for now.
- we're all leaning towards low temp for the short term
- tanks vs tankless
- if tank, regular vs condensing
- if tankless, gas v electric
- Link to info on energy efficient design of commerical kitchen hot water systems: https://fishnick.com/design/waterheating/Water_Heating_Design_Guide_Final_FNi_disclaimer.pdf
- tankless is more expensive upfront but pays for itself in the long run
- tankless requires more electricity or gas capacity but that's probably worth it
- tanks can run out of hot water and don't last very long
- tankless only turns on when water runs, so you might get cold water when you turn it on
- you need 2 tankless to replace 1 tank in capacity
- tanks can run hot, tankless can run cold
- gas tankless is more efficient than electric tankless
- laura thinks our capacity is limited by the main panel, not by wires from the pole. maybe we should upgrade the panel.
- yar's been working on this https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Electrical
- how much would it cost to upgrade the main panel? we could do that now in theory
- yar thinks we should put solar panels over the disco room asap. it's an isolated area that doesn't need repair like the rest of the roof
- existing gas is the furnaces, old wolf stove
- What is the gas capacity? joe is finding out
- we had an unboxing party and boiled some water. hardly any of our pots are iron
- yar will buy wd-40 rust
- help phil take apart old stove
- laura will get quotes on upgrading main panel
- still need to hear back from toan, joe & david