Event:2019/08/15 Delegates

From Omni Commons
Revision as of 14:04, 19 August 2019 by Yar (talk | contribs) (copy from pad)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Omni Delegates' Meeting - August 15, 2019 7:30pm-9pm

for instructions on preparing and archiving these notes, please see the bottom

Agenda

  • Introductions [15 minutes]
    • Meeting Roles
    • Delegates Count
    • Access Check-in
  • Check-ins, Updates & Report-Backs [30 minutes]
    • Brief Announcements
    • Working Groups
    • Member Collectives
    • Conflicts, Mediation & Safe Space
  • Proposals & Discussions

Introductions

Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Affiliation; any brief announcements; say whether you're a delegate; let us know about any access needs you have†

  • WHY DO WE ASK PRONOUNS? To make space for people who are trans, nonbinary, gender noncomforming or otherwise vulnerable to being misgendered. It's not an invitation to make jokes or trivialize the idea of pronouns. If you are fine with the gender and pronouns society generally assigns to you, please just say what they are without fanfare or embellishment. Conversely, please don't pressure anybody to give their pronouns, as that can harm trans people who are closeted or questioning. The point is to prompt and normalize asking, but not to mandate or enforce. Thank you! <3 Yar
  • Laura she/her, finance wg
  • Marcus he/him
  • Mylan she/her, PhatBeets
  • Dennis he/him LL delegate
  • Rob he/him
  • Helen, FNB delegate
  • Phil, FNB
  • Mary Ann, she/her delegate
  • Yar, Sudo delegate
  • Ian, CCL acting delegate :)
  • Tony, PhatBeets

Access Check In

Is everybody able to participate fully in this meeting? Do people have unmet needs or concerns?

  • Please speak loudly

Meeting Roles

  • Facilitator/s: Laura
  • Explanation of hand signals: "deaf applause", "raised hand", "point of process", "direct response"(wildcard), etc.
  • Stacktaker: Rob
  • Timekeeper: yar
  • Notetaker/s: Marcus, Ian
  • Vibe Reader: Marcus
  • Who will out next meeting's agenda beforehand: Rob
  • Next meeting's facilitator(s):

Delegates

  • CCL: Ian
  • CSC: Maryann
  • FNB: Helen
  • FYE:
  • GWS: inactive
  • LL: Dennis
  • Sudo: Yar
  • Quorum: Yes

Brief Announcements

  • none

Working Group Report-Backs

Building & permits

  • Meetings: only the kitchen group meets regularly, new times tbd
  • https://omnicommons.org/lists/listinfo/building
  • Stove have been removed, needs to go to metal recyclers
  • Roberto painted the lower south wall, Rob will finish it, Yar picked up paint and stuff
  • Yar - a solar company came out to look at the roof - 5 Star Energy, will give us a quote
    • They finance and will do the electical upgrades
  • MaryAnn - what about doing the roof?
    • Disco room roof doesnt need to be fixed
  • Helen - is there an aprox cost?
    • Yar - no
  • Laura - can they increase the blocks to get more energy for the future kitchen
    • Robb - most of the energy we create will not upgrade our energy use. Most of the energy is during the night, so what we generate during the day will go to the energy company and then we get it back from them during the night. The only way to up it is to get three-phase

Currently a 24,000watt limit, we use average 21,000 watts currently durring the day.

Commons

  • Meetings: 2nd & 4th Mondays at 5pm
  • https://omnicommons.org/lists/listinfo/booking
  • Tony - Robb and Phil are doing a lot and I think they need more apreciation.
  • Rob - Everything slows down during the summer, so we're in the red. Hopefully that will change come Sept
    • We're going to deal with Almaz this Sat.
    • We need to set somoe boundaries with Spaz and their parties. We hope ot meet with a rep at the next meeting

Finance & Fundraising

Member Collective Updates

What is going on with your collective? What are you working on? What have you accomplished? Any events coming up? Any difficulties you are encountering that you need help with?

CCL

  • Ian: We did just turn over to the new fridge so it's going to be much quiter.

CSC

  • Mary Ann: This Sat afternoon from 12pm - 4pm is our annual Arts & Culture festival. It's Artists who sell their art and there will be vendors and music.

FNB

  • Helen: We signed the grant agreement and will be getting a new truck very soon. No smoking inside.

FYE

GWS

LL

  • Dennis: this sunday 5pm film showing, lastis the Black 400years series, Wilmington on Fire doc. Free, free food, on the 24this a collab w Bay Cat youth org on a workshop on film production

Sudo

  • Yar: No changes
  • Robb: we just got a large laser cutter

Conflicts, Mediation & Safe Space

  • Updates for any ongoing issues
  • Has anybody been asked to leave? asked to leave
    • Tony's friend Kim was very helpful in talking with a person who would not leave the shower.
  • Resotiative Circle was "promising" "preliminary"

Proposals

Example Proposal Title

  • Name of person, and/or, collective. and/or working group making this proposal; Date the proposal was sent to the consensus email list
  • Text of proposal

Phat Beets Membership

Commons WG Membership

  • Helen sent to consensus Thu 4/18, briefly discussed Thu 6/6
  • https://omnicommons.org/pipermail/consensus/2019-April/001688.html
  • https://omnicommons.org/pipermail/consensus/2019-May/001744.html
  • https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Event:2019/06/06_Delegates#helen.27s_commons_proposal
  • https://omnicommons.org/pipermail/consensus/2019-July/001793.html
  • We at the OMNI value volunteerism - everyone is welcome to join one of our working groups. However, the Commons Working Group (CWG) is charged with signing legal contracts and handling others' money. They also supervise the events held by outside groups, to ensure that they meet the terms of the contracts. So we need some control over its membership. This proposal sets a high bar for membership.
  • Proposal: Members of the CWG must adhere to high levels of honesty and responsibility. When there is any evidence that a member has not met these high standards, the matter should be brought before the Delegates Assembly. Individuals can remain on the CWG only with "consensus - 1" of the delegates. (Individuals will be removed from the group unless all but one of the delegates agree that they can continue.) Proposals to remove a CWG member go through the usual consultation rocess, with the individual in question having the right to appear at a delegates' meeting to answer any concerns before any action is taken.
  • Note that a proposal to remove a member does not require consensus - "consensus -1" is required for a member to remain on the working group.

Discussion

  • Yar will have to abstain
  • Other collectives also not ready to decide
  • Mary Ann: Shouldn't the same apply to all working groups?
    • Helen: it sseems less likely to occur in some others. Though the finance wg also has potential for abuse.
  • Yar: Sudo ROom hasn't has a meeting, but sudo people's feedback is mixed. Some people just don't like rules.
  • Iam: initial convos at CCL are similar to Sudo. Im going to abstain and let Ken handle this becasue he is more familiar wiht the past situation
  • Robb: I don't really see this as creating rules. This is just a way to get rid of bad behavior. We just expected people to be cool and had no way of dealing when things weren't cool.
  • Ian: this seems ot be the simplest machinery to deal with the issue that took place.
  • Laura - Is this a working agreement that it can cover all groups?
  • Group - I think we need to put that on next meeting's agenda, so each group can discuss it further in their groups
  • Helen: Willing to change to "When there is any evidence that a member has not met these high standards, the matter MUST be brought before the Delegates Assembly". Also to cover all working groups
    • also thinks we should postpone consensus until groups have by-in.
    • Delegates will talk to collectives.

Meeting Lease Agreements

Any collective may find itself in financial difficulties. If a collective cannot meet its rent because of a cash-flow problem or some minor glitch, it should work out the problem with the finance committee.

But a deeper problem may require a collective to change the terms of its lease (or fiscal sponsorship agreement). This could be a financial problem, or it could be some other issue such as the collective's use of its space. If a collective needs to change the terms of any part of its lease it must come to the Delegates' Assembly with a proposal for new terms within one month. Even if the collective is unable to pay its rent, it retains full membership in the OMNI for three months, while a solution to the problem is being negotiated.

The delegates must prioritize finding ways to retain a current member collective. If they do not agree to the proposal put forward, they must set up a committee to negotiate a new terms. Or, if the collective is unable to maintain its rent payments, the assembly could instead set up a committee to help that collective meet its commitment. For example, the delegates might help to organize a fundraiser. Or they might agree to a sweat-equity arrangement.

After 3 months, if new terms have not been agreed upon, the collective loses its right to block consensus, but retains its residency for another 3 months, as long as negotiations continue. The three-month clock starts ticking as soon as the collective comes to a Delegates' Assembly, or fails to meet the terms of its agreement, whichever comes first. The Delegates Assembly may stop the clock if progress is being made in the negotiations, but more time is needed.

It is the responsibility of the collective in trouble to come to the Delegates' Assembly for help. It is the responsibility of the delegates to provide help, out of solidarity.

Discussion

  • Mary Ann: I brought this to our board. I was shocked by the level of negative feedback. The sense I got is that people were opposed to having any requirement that the delegates consider a fund raiser or sweat equity agreement. They think this will encourage a collective to get out of paying rent, or change their lease. Also, they feel the delegates have difficulties with setting limits on tolerable behavior at Omni. My porblem with it is at what point does a minor glitch turn out to be not minor. The main issue is how much time can a group get away with not paying rent. YOu're not going to need more than 6 months to figure out how to pay rent or resolve a situation. The issue is being here taking up a space that can produce rent. Thwy directed me to block.They beleive we were taken advantage of big time and don't wnat to do anyting to encourage a similar situation. I havent' talked to any other groups about this.
  • Phil: It was my understanding that there was an ongoing process to becoming a fiscally sponsored project.
    • Laura: There is, but they still have a fiscal responsibility
  • Ian: This revision fixes the issue of it not being clear on the grace period timing. But I also dont think this is ready. We want sustainable collectives. WHile I agree with the sentiment of helping out eachother, helping and teaching how to fundrase and helping collectives in need should occur, but creation of a committee and creation of a fundrasing team could lead to assumed responsibility, but beyond that we shouldn't mention specific remedies like omni fundrasers as another collective finance's deteriorate, and we should highlight welfare programs - onmi is totally ok with sweat equity, at this point the finance committee can determine these things.
  • Yar: I think that we need to have a community wide discusiion on what money means to us. Because I think the original intention of radical commoning isn't being carried out.
  • Mylan: I agree, I do not feel that sweat work is not ok for covering rent. I think there's a lot of people here who do a lot of work. I honestly feel that it's a bad thing. But I understand that we have bills and stuff, so we need to talk about it more.
  • Mary Ann: the point isnt that sweat equity isn't ok. its that they don't want it in writing to create an obligation that the Omni has to do any particular thing to help a group.
  • Ian: I couldn't agree MaryAnn more. Creating a committee and fundrasing could be seen as a requirement that makes collectives and the omni liable when finances of a collective fail.
  • Laura: Two things. I personally feel that the 6-month time period is just too long. I think it should be three months total. If people are agreeing in good faith can reach an agreement sooner.
  • Helen: Suppose it it just left out the third and fourth paragraphs. Do you think CSC would be supportive then?
  • Laura: I just want to add Change the lease or fiscal sponsorship agreement. Suggest Helen and MAry Ann work on this before the next meeting.
  • Mylan: What happens after the three month period?
  • Helen: I'll add that.
  • Ian: Wants to help out working on the new language. Wants it to be firmer. Want to ensure this is not seen as a barganing tool or method of negotiation
  • Dennis: Mary Ann your group had a sharp objection, maybe it would help if they could make their own counter proposal.
  • Helen, Mary Ann, Ian, will rework this proposal and send to consensus before the next meeting.

Keycards for non-members

Discussion

Postponed while Yar works on the list of people who have cards. Will give each collective a list of who of their members who have key cards.

  • Rob: I think the delegates should prepare an active list

We still need Officers

  • Laura: We still need officers, I have taken myself off the list, please bring this to your collective. Legally we are now not in compliance.
  • Phil: I agree that we are not in compliance, but I don't think this is as serious an issue to be concerned
  • Yar: Does there need to be any paperwork associated with the change over.
  • Laura: No.

Last Meeting Notes

https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Event:2019/08/01_Delegates_Meeting

End of Meeting

  • please archive these meeting notes by copying the entire pad conte\

nts onto the omni wiki at https://omnicommons.org/wiki