Difference between revisions of "Event:2019/11/07 Delegates"

From Omni Commons
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Created page with "Omni Delegates' Meeting - 07 November 2019 7pm-9pm for instructions on preparing and archiving these notes, please see the bottom https://pad.riseup.net/p/omninom === Agenda...")
 
 
Line 144: Line 144:
  
 
Proposal: The Board of the Omni Commons supports the Omni’s Commons Working Group in deciding which event requests are aligned with Omni’s mission and values and thus officially endorsed by Omni Commons as a sponsored event.
 
Proposal: The Board of the Omni Commons supports the Omni’s Commons Working Group in deciding which event requests are aligned with Omni’s mission and values and thus officially endorsed by Omni Commons as a sponsored event.
 +
 
What kinds of events?
 
What kinds of events?
 +
* Grassroots organizations or put on by individuals - no explicit political candidate support
 +
* NOTAFLOF (No One Turned Away For Lack Of Funds) / sliding scale admission;
  
    Grassroots organizations or put on by individuals - no explicit political candidate support;
+
One of these:
 
+
* Furthering free education and co-learning;
    NOTAFLOF (No One Turned Away For Lack Of Funds) / sliding scale admission;
+
* Supporting educational and political endeavors;
 
+
* Supporting creative and artistic projects.
    One of these:
+
* Align with our Mission and Values.
 
 
    Furthering free education and co-learning;
 
 
 
    Supporting educational and political endeavors;
 
 
 
    Supporting creative and artistic projects.
 
 
 
    Align with our Mission and Values.
 
 
 
  
 
Endorsers:
 
Endorsers:
 +
* Jenny
 +
* Roberto
 +
* Robb
  
    Jenny
+
===Discussion===
 
 
    Roberto
 
 
 
    Robb
 
 
 
 
 
 
*Mary Anne: agrees with it. Concerns about needing a process for dealing with these kinds of events. Who handles money at door for the cut at the door? The finance and commons working group needs to really work to get together to get $$ from the events. How do we implement that? How do we advertise, "Omni Commons Presesnts XYZ?"
 
*Mary Anne: agrees with it. Concerns about needing a process for dealing with these kinds of events. Who handles money at door for the cut at the door? The finance and commons working group needs to really work to get together to get $$ from the events. How do we implement that? How do we advertise, "Omni Commons Presesnts XYZ?"
 
*Dennis: the way we do it is we (LL) collects the door money for co-sponored way to do it.
 
*Dennis: the way we do it is we (LL) collects the door money for co-sponored way to do it.
Line 177: Line 168:
 
*Mary Anne: says we should also talk to our lawyers about it
 
*Mary Anne: says we should also talk to our lawyers about it
 
*Joe says Silver is trying to get us an ABC license
 
*Joe says Silver is trying to get us an ABC license
New Concern: Ab is not infavor of SPAZ having permnanebt decorations in the basement hall. He wants to talk to Lucas about making those decorations  temporary.AB wants the space opened up for other events.
 
 
  
== Discussion ==
+
New Concern: Ab is not in favor of SPAZ having permanent decorations in the basement hall. He wants to talk to Lucas about making those decorations  temporary. AB wants the space opened up for other events.
  
We decided to ask Jenny and Laura to attend the next delegates meeting to explain all the details  of the Fiscal sponsorship proposal.
+
'We decided to ask Jenny and Laura to attend the next delegates meeting to explain all the details  of the Fiscal sponsorship proposal.
Mary Ann also strongly suggested that we pass the details of this proposal by Jesse Palmer our lawyer.
+
Mary Ann also strongly suggested that we pass the details of this proposal by Jesse Palmer our lawyer.'
  
 
== Last Meeting Notes ==
 
== Last Meeting Notes ==

Latest revision as of 10:58, 2 December 2019

Omni Delegates' Meeting - 07 November 2019 7pm-9pm

for instructions on preparing and archiving these notes, please see the bottom https://pad.riseup.net/p/omninom

Agenda

  • Introductions [15 minutes]Phil, Mary Ann,Brent.Michael,Ben,Joe, AB, Mylan,DennisLaunched go fund me to get a new truck because their engine blew on old truck. Nielan
    • Meeting Roles
    • Delegates Count
    • Access Check-in
  • Check-ins, Updates & Report-Backs [30 minutes]
    • Brief Announcements
    • Working Groups
    • Member Collectives
    • Conflicts, Mediation & Safe Space
  • Proposals & Discussions

Introductions

Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Affiliation; any brief announcements; say whether you're a delegate; let us know about any access needs you have†

  • WHY DO WE ASK PRONOUNS? To make space for people who are trans, nonbinary, gender noncomforming or otherwise vulnerable to being misgendered. It's not an invitation to make jokes or trivialize the idea of pronouns. If you are fine with the gender and pronouns society generally assigns to you, please just say what they are without fanfare or embellishment. Conversely, please don't pressure anybody to give their pronouns, as that can harm trans people who are closeted or questioning. The point is to prompt and normalize asking, but not to mandate or enforce. Thank you! <3 Yar

Access Check In

Is everybody able to participate fully in this meeting? Do people have unmet needs or concerns?

Meeting Roles

  • Facilitator/s: Phil
  • Explanation of hand signals: "deaf applause", "raised hand", "point of process", "direct response"(wildcard), etc.
  • Stacktaker:
  • Timekeeper:
  • Notetaker/s: Nielan
  • Vibe Reader:
  • Who will out next meeting's agenda beforehand:
  • Next meeting's facilitator(s): No takers yet

Delegates

  • CCL:Michael
  • CSC: Mary Ann
  • FNB: Joe
  • FYE: AB (downstairs)
  • GWS: N/P
  • LL: Dennis
  • Phat Beets: Mylan
  • Sudo:
  • Quorum: 5/8 - no unless we count

Brief Announcements

  • Phil: Would like to discuss cleanup schedule/processes; Creating a rodent problem;Ken and CCL have been setting traps.


Working Group Report-Backs

Building & permits

Commons

  • Michael says that he had to get a Health Dept clearance for an event he organized at OC Ballroom.
Joe Explained  the situation with SPAZ.  Meeting with ABC, Jenny, and Lucas.  Agreed with list of  members attending,event at door, getting all needed security;no money exchanged; then a BYOB event could take place w/o ABC permits
  • Joe - Kitchen is still waiting on fundraising. Commons has been working with spaz to make raves more legit. Membership list at the door would facility not having permit. Bunch of events coming up.


Finance & Fundraising

Member Collective Updates

What is going on with your collective? What are you working on? What have you accomplished? Any events coming up? Any difficulties you are encountering that you need help with?

=== CCL === and Commons notes

  • Micheal says "First, register with Police who will give you a list of permits/documents you need for the event. If over 50 people and you are sourcing food from an outside vendor (not homemade) you must seek a Health Permit in addition to the Beverages permit for alcohol. He also said they required him to get proof of a security guard/officer for the event due to the amount of people. Afterwhich they granted them the permit for the event.
  • Liability Event in December in Ballroom for 200 people, a public speaking event for Finding/Identifying Mushrooms of Mexico & North America -- Not Sponsored by CCL, altho a CCL member

CSC

  • Mary Anne has an art exhibit in SF & bookfair. Since they are so busy, they will cancel the annual fundraiser Friday Nov. 15th

FNB

  • Joe : economical peace dinner went well. They will be cooking at anarchist fair in November. Looking for a truck after 2000-2010, can spend up to $9,000.

FYE

AB: clothing drive in 3 weeks. Want to do a winter ball last week of December. Want to start fiscal sponored by OMNI

GWS

LL

  • Common film Screening Saturday @ 5:30pm - Looking for collectives To present the commons work that they do after the film. Check in with Bunker From Liberated Lens

Phat Beets

  • Mylan: Just launched a gofund me to get a new truck because their old one blew the engine

Sudo

  • no updates. Working on Floors and second floor

Conflicts, Mediation & Safe Space

  • Updates for any ongoing issues
  • Has anybody been asked to leave? asked to leave
  • Joe: Concerned about the crew that sits on the steps. Chicago and Joe want to form a committee to talk with them and things they could come up with to keep the OMNI looking nice inside and out.
  • Phil: Taking away restroom privileges is an option, altho not recommended.
  • AB Concerned about people loitering and dringing in front of the OC. Now He has build a better relationship with the group on the stairs.

He also had good cooperation with the stair group when he asked them to move off the stairs for an event they were going to have.

  • Mylan:says that Chicage has had to pays people in the stair group to leave the stairs for events. That is not part of his job and Mylan

has been reimbursing him and she in not compensated by OC>

  • Ian: Had a conference w/ AB, Ian, and Chi. The concerns a) how the omni looks (open alcohol and comments to women), b) the trash up-keep, and c) to build a proposal/working group to talk to them and address the concerns
  • Mary Anne: thinks them having the bathroom privileges is encouraging them to be on the steps. So, do we want to encourage them to be there or not?

Proposals

Continue Bookkeeper Contract with Jenny

  • Originally submitted in August
  • Bring back to collectives for next meeting

Voting:

  • === Delegates ===
  • CCL:Michael
  • CSC: Mary Ann
  • FNB: Joe
  • FYE: AB (downstairs)
  • GWS: N/P
  • LL: Dennis
  • Phat Beets: Mylan
  • Sudo: N/P
  • Quorum: Unanimous Support 6/6

Forming Subcomittee for Curbside OmniNoms

  • Committee to continue to talk to our curbside members, and reach a consensus on curbside standards
  • Members thus far: AB, Chi, Ian, Brendt, (Micheal suggests Ramy Kim)

== Forming Subcomittee for Improving OMNI As A Venue

  • Committee to better OMNI for improving rental and venue space (mtg w/ David, lawyers, and etc)
  • Members thus far: Ian, AB, Mary Anne

Omni Event Sponsorship

Problem: Our property tax exemption annual application requires us to provide official documentation of any given rental event’s nonprofit / fiscal sponsorship documentation so as to establish the nonprofit nature of the event booked. Events that are unable to provide such documentation or don’t fall into the proper nonprofit-y category risk putting the entire space they utilize at risk of taxation.

Potential Solution: One way to support events at Omni that are not under official entity status would be to support them as Omni Commons, the nonprofit - writing this into our individual contracts with organizers. What follows is some basic criteria to enable and empower Omni’s Commons Working Group to quickly assess and consense to sponsor certain kinds of events that are already in line with Omni’s stated mission, vision and values.

Proposal: The Board of the Omni Commons supports the Omni’s Commons Working Group in deciding which event requests are aligned with Omni’s mission and values and thus officially endorsed by Omni Commons as a sponsored event.

What kinds of events?

  • Grassroots organizations or put on by individuals - no explicit political candidate support
  • NOTAFLOF (No One Turned Away For Lack Of Funds) / sliding scale admission;

One of these:

  • Furthering free education and co-learning;
  • Supporting educational and political endeavors;
  • Supporting creative and artistic projects.
  • Align with our Mission and Values.

Endorsers:

  • Jenny
  • Roberto
  • Robb

Discussion

  • Mary Anne: agrees with it. Concerns about needing a process for dealing with these kinds of events. Who handles money at door for the cut at the door? The finance and commons working group needs to really work to get together to get $$ from the events. How do we implement that? How do we advertise, "Omni Commons Presesnts XYZ?"
  • Dennis: the way we do it is we (LL) collects the door money for co-sponored way to do it.
  • Mary Anne: says there is a larger issue for Oakland and how we are going to deal with that considering thats oppressive to groups -- its discouraging free speech and coming together. Its a city of Oakland Police requirement for groups larger than 50 -- a need for a permit that is open to the public and exceeds more than 50 people whether or not there is alcohol. It is simply extortion -- Special Events Permit. If Omni is sponsoring, what does our insurance cover if its a non-alcoholic? what other implacations are we incurring? what are the barriers for people to rent (insurance, permits, and infrastructure)?
  • AB: suggests David Keenan come in to say all the barriers and suggests to improve Omni's access
  • Ian: suggests we record a meeting David's conversation
  • Mary Anne: says we should also talk to our lawyers about it
  • Joe says Silver is trying to get us an ABC license

New Concern: Ab is not in favor of SPAZ having permanent decorations in the basement hall. He wants to talk to Lucas about making those decorations temporary. AB wants the space opened up for other events.

'We decided to ask Jenny and Laura to attend the next delegates meeting to explain all the details of the Fiscal sponsorship proposal. Mary Ann also strongly suggested that we pass the details of this proposal by Jesse Palmer our lawyer.'

Last Meeting Notes

https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Event:2019/MM/DD_Delegates_Meeting

End of Meeting