Omni Delegates' Meeting - Thursday December 3, 2020 7pm-9pm
1. Joining info:
- with an app or computer: https://meet.google.com/diw-hszw-msr
- by phone: (US) +1 515-428-1108 (PIN: 465814905)
2. URL of these notes: https://omnicommons.org/notes
3. Please add items to the agenda below and send any proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the meeting
4. For instructions on preparing and archiving these notes, please see the bottom.
- Introductions [15 minutes]
- Meeting Roles
- Delegates Count CCL, GWS, FYE, ANV, Sudo Room
- Access Check-in
- Check-ins, Updates & Report-Backs [30 minutes]
- Brief Announcements
- Working Groups
- Member Collectives
- Conflicts, Mediation & Safe Space
- Proposals & Discussions
Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Affiliation; any brief announcements; say whether you're a delegate; let us know about any access needs you have†
- WHY DO WE ASK PRONOUNS? To make space for people who are trans, nonbinary, gender noncomforming or otherwise vulnerable to being misgendered. It's not an invitation to make jokes or trivialize the idea of pronouns. If you are fine with the gender and pronouns society generally assigns to you, please just say what they are without fanfare or embellishment. Conversely, please don't pressure anybody to give their pronouns, as that can harm trans people who are closeted or questioning. The point is to prompt and normalize asking, but not to mandate or enforce. Thank you! <3 Yar
- yar she/her sudoroom delegate, hopeful to cement all the mouse holes, epoxy the floor in sudoroom, triple number of volunteers and stakeholders
- shido he/him fye, hopeful for abundance of vulnteer activity, and building being paid off in full
- maryann she/her chiapas delegate, hopeful to refinance & remain in existing
- roya she/her anv, hopeful building can be in a great state in the coming year with no mice or maybe just fewer mice, happy people and kids!
- rachel, hopeful we'll sort it all out, raise the money, make it, things are coming along, hoping country will address massive increasing poverty, people can't eat, it's a disaster, never being addressed. poverty, racism, covid
- michael he/him CCL delegate, 2nd & 3rd motions about omni being solvent, reduction of rodents, and rachel's wish, also homelessness is unbelievable in the richest country in the world
- robb fnb, not delegate, finally have a camera, we need to address homelessness, with oakland's new encampment policy we're gonna see more suffering, especially from fear
- john gws, hoping omni can raise the money we need, become even more badass than we have been in terms of building community & social power for the causes we all care about
Access Check In
Is everybody able to participate fully in this meeting? Do people have unmet needs or concerns?
- Facilitator/s: john
- Explanation of hand signals: "deaf applause", "raised hand", "point of process", "direct response"(wildcard), etc.
- Notetaker/s: yar, john
- URL of this pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/omninom
- Vibe Reader:
- Who will out next meeting's agenda beforehand:
- Next meeting's facilitator(s):
- ANV: roya
- CCL: michael
- CSC: maryann
- FNB: active but nobody here
- FYE: shido
- GWS: rachel
- LL: inactive
- Sudo Room: yar
- Sudo Mesh: inactive
- Quorum: yeah probably
- dennis died of a heart attack, memorial will be soon, we miss him, huge loss
Working Group Report-Backs
Building & permits
- Meetings: only the kitchen group meets regularly, new times tbd
- robb blew leaves, lots of leaves piling up, cleaning bathrooms. need another hour of roof patching over ccl
- Meetings: 2nd & 4th Mondays at 5:30pm @ https://omnicommons.live/commons
- Join! * https://omnicommons.org/lists/listinfo/commons
- we discussed how to do it properly next year so we don't get hit with property tax. getting guidelines from lawyer. so we can accomodate unincorporated associations.
- request for street medic training - rules about healthcare activities is pretty broad, so we might be able to have it in the ballroom. it's considered essential. but that's in january.
- latest meeting was robb, joe, silver & anka
- jack kurzweil of the wellstone club for democratic renewal wants to have regular meeting space when things open up
- they're political, also endorsed libby schaaf
- make sure we're fair with people who request events, that we're doing it through a lens of beyond white supremacy. thing is, whoever's point person can decide how much to charge. what if they're grassroots?
- robb: in my experience we decide on a sliding scale, at a meeting
- silver: not enough clarity
- Meetings: Email for now
- Join! https://omnicommons.org/lists/listinfo/comms
- silver runs instagram, doing promotion with dane, especially for town fridge, going really well, a lot of attention towards that. wrt the gofundme, it's doing a bad job. not making any money.
- john: $5678 raised
- yar: out of 50k
- silver says maybe a promotional video, hit them up!
Finance & Fundraising
- Meetings: Tuesdays 2:00 - 3:00 pm
- Join! https://omnicommons.org/lists/listinfo/finance
- Join! https://omnicommons.org/lists/listinfo/fundraising
- maryann: we have 2 pending large amounts of money that we're waiting to hear more
- jane still waiting on notice small business administration about 90k EIDL loan at 2.75% interest over 30y
- 25k grant through community vision (oakland cares act for nonprofits), they said we'll get it, but we haven't got actual award letter yet
- thank you collectives for paying rent! that's the only way we survive!
- facebook pledged to match campaigns, we made 2800 which turns into 5600
- gofundme is $5678, natasha is continuously updating it
- openinsulin just did a commitchange campaign, to purchase equipment, earned 10k in a few weeks, Louise Lassalle led their campaign. mailchimp, social media, etc.
- someone emailed us about $1500?
- no, JP massar sent $10
- first quarterly report to Mulberry Trust is due December 15. MaryAnn wrote a report for our lawyer to send. will send it to consensus list.
- silver: what if we had a side fundraiser for a kitchen?
- yar thinks you should be able to raise for kitchen however you want
Member Collective Updates
What is going on with your collective? What are you working on? What have you accomplished? Any events coming up? Any difficulties you are encountering that you need help with?
- going great, CSA program really coming together, overcome a lot of problems, taking a break in january, coming back february
- town fridge topic came up at meeting, we made a decision
- Michael - ccl was planning on reopening lab but not now that we're in purple
- just involved in year-end fundraising
- purple until at least december 21
- doing good, just got a bunch of socks
- shido: no major updates, transitional stage, folks moving, reorganizing, restabilizing, planning for future
- dec 17 webinar: international day to end violence against sex workers
- relaunching care income campaign, part of european green new deal
- nobody present
- yar hopeful to renovate physical space in spring & summer. fingers crossed.
Conflicts, Mediation & Safe Space
- Updates for any ongoing issues
- Has anybody been asked to leave? asked to leave
- Reparations focused- project
Proposals & Discussions
Dennis Memorial Library
from anka on the mailing list:
- Hey, as most of you know one of our longtime members of Liberated Lens,
Dennis Terry passed away recently...
- We are planning to have an outside memorial for him within the next
couple months (organized alongside with other groups he volunteered at), meantime we will be cleaning his apartment since Dennis did not have family in the Bay Area. Dennis left behind a whole library of books on film and radical literature as well as tons of film (he was pretty much a film expert!). An idea was floating around to create a Dennis' Memorial Library and I was wondering whether Omni would be a good place for it. Just wanted to propose it to the delegates and further discuss at the upcoming meeting.
- yar concerned about stuff getting stolen, especially the films. less concerned about the books.
- dennis was all about sharing, so maybe wouldn't be as concerned about loss. maybe a locked cabinet for irreplacable things.
- no objections other than those concerns, pending details
- they want fiscal sponsorship, probably more grant-based than project-based
- we'd need more details to know what to do with this
- "sounds interesting, let's hear more details"
= Town Fridge
- michael: patrick was delegate at the last meeting, brought up the idea at our CCL meeting. notion that omni would sponsor a "town fridge", looks like there's a few already in oakland available to the public. we talked about the pros and cons. took a poll of the 7 people at that meeting. 6 of them thought it was a good project to go forward with. 1 person abstained due to some concerns about safety and health, of a fridge that's out on the sidewalk. so CCL is in favor.
- yar put a GFCI adapter behind it, so nobody will get electrocuted
- health concern was what happens if somebody gets food poisoning? what's the liability?
- robb: food not bombs doesn't have to prepare meals in commercial kitchens because they're giving it away, not selling it. the law exonerates you from liability when you're giving food away. the law came from stores wanting to donate without liability.
- it's extremely clean & tidy, not messy
- silver set up a point person for every day of the week. they're a huge network, like 15k followers
- CONSENSUS: yes (anv, csc, ccl, sudo, fye, gws)
Last Meeting Notes
End of Meeting
- please archive these meeting notes by copying the entire pad contents onto the omni wiki at https://omnicommons.org/wiki
- then please erase the contents of this pad
- then please cut & paste a blank template from here: https://omnicommons.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Delegates_Meeting_Notes_Template&action=edit
- previous notes are archived here: https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Meetings