Omni Delegates' Meeting - February 4th, 2020 7pm-9pm
1. Joining info:
- with an app or computer: https://meet.google.com/diw-hszw-msr
- by phone: (US) +1 515-428-1108 (PIN: 465814905)
2. URL of these notes: https://omnicommons.org/notes
3. Please add items to the agenda below and send any proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the meeting
4. For instructions on preparing and archiving these notes, please see the bottom.
- Introductions [15 minutes]
- Meeting Roles
- Delegates Count
- Access Check-in
- Check-ins, Updates & Report-Backs [30 minutes]
- Brief Announcements
- Working Groups
- Member Collectives
- Conflicts, Mediation & Safe Space
- Proposals & Discussions
Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Affiliation; any brief announcements; say whether you're a delegate; let us know about any access needs you have†
- WHY DO WE ASK PRONOUNS? To make space for people who are trans, nonbinary, gender noncomforming or otherwise vulnerable to being misgendered. It's not an invitation to make jokes or trivialize the idea of pronouns. If you are fine with the gender and pronouns society generally assigns to you, please just say what they are without fanfare or embellishment. Conversely, please don't pressure anybody to give their pronouns, as that can harm trans people who are closeted or questioning. The point is to prompt and normalize asking, but not to mandate or enforce. Thank you! <3 Yar
- asaad, ab for short
- rachel gws she/her
- yar sudoroom she/her
- patrik ccl he/him
- maryann csc she/her
- john gws he/they
- robb fnb he/him
- vicky noma they/them
- silver omni/fnb/noma they/them
Access Check In
Is everybody able to participate fully in this meeting? Do people have unmet needs or concerns?
- Facilitator/s: Jane
- Explanation of hand signals: "deaf applause", "raised hand", "point of process", "direct response"(wildcard), etc.
- Timekeeper: Rachel
- Notetaker/s: yar, Patrik, john
- URL of this pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/omninom
- Vibe Reader:
- Who will out next meeting's agenda beforehand:
- Next meeting's facilitator(s):
- ANV: inactive
- CCL: Patrik
- CSC: Mary Ann
- FNB: active but nobody here yet
- FYE: AB
- GWS:Jane, Rachel
- LL: inactive
- Sudo Room: Yar
- Sudo Mesh: inactive
- Quorum: yes
Working Group Report-Backs
Building & permits
- Meetings: only the kitchen group meets regularly, new times tbd
- Yar out there Friday and Saturday with new volunteers. 3 out of 4 windows fixed, patched the stucco. Three of four windows fixed, stucco patched, waiting for glass delivery to finish fourth window.
- Yar meeting electrician Fri morning to install outlet - will send pics for the insurance.
- Some skylights leaking need to hit seams with silicone, exit mat to roof area, hole patching
- leak in ccl just above the stack of 2 small fridges at the entrance to the Bocce Ball Court, need to find it on roof
- vending machine appeared ~2 weeks ago, why?? do we need it?
- no. let's put a note on the machine asking it to be removed
- town fridge will go in its shack once electrical outlet is ready
- Need to decide exactly where the fridge will be. Questions on how much of the sidewalk we own on 48th side. Yar remembers that based on DK, our property line is more or less at the wall, and neighbor yeards actually stick out on public sidewalk. Patrik remembers that just the strip of sidewalk including the cutouts for the cedar trees is on our property - ~1ft beyond the wall? May need some research to verify.
- Vicky brought in a copier in the entrance hall - do we want it? Fairly new. Maybe find someone who can service it ahead of time?
- talk about what to do with it, maybe put in basement part of media lab?
- Meetings: 2nd & 4th Mondays at 5:30pm @ https://omnicommons.live/commons
- Join! * https://omnicommons.org/lists/listinfo/commons
- Working on agreements to deal w unincorporated organizations
- got request for car wash fundraiser from a dance troupe
- have been some issues between NOMA and FnB around using parking spaces
- next meeting is monday february 8 at 6pm, will talk about carwash
- Meetings: Email for now
- Join! https://omnicommons.org/lists/listinfo/comms
- dane's been doing twitter, helping silver w/instagram
- talking with roberto about restarting newsletter
Finance & Fundraising
- Meetings: Tuesdays 2:00 - 3:00 pm
- Join! https://omnicommons.org/lists/listinfo/finance
- Join! https://omnicommons.org/lists/listinfo/fundraising
- maryann: we're at a crossroads, raising enough money to show a lender we can make payments, to justify a mortgage refinance loan from Self-help.
- SBA loan still pending in DC bureaucracy
- SBA state grant that silver filed, intake interview scheduled for tomorrow
- how will robb respond? will just answer some questions
- semble.com in seattle - Conversation with them for a loan proposal to take to a bank, find a few $20-25K investors to allow us to cut monthly loan payment by around 50%. Monthly payments at proposed rate will go up about $2k. Application to Self-help will go forward.
- lower interest & 30 years (vs 20 w/self help)
- time pressure, mulberry payments start may 1, if we don't refi soon we'll need to draw plans to sell building
- paid lawyer $500
Member Collective Updates
What is going on with your collective? What are you working on? What have you accomplished? Any events coming up? Any difficulties you are encountering that you need help with?
- nobody at meeting but they started up CSA again yesterday, kelly was here
- May need official Minutes for the delegates meeting in October ( https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Event:2020/10/01_Delegates ) when we updated the fiscal sponsorship agreement with Real Vegan Cheese project to add a new set of names.
- Jane as Secretary will sign this last doc.
- original agreement hard-codes requiring a unify bank account, want to change that to be more flexible
- selling zapatista coffee
- yesterday was monthly meeting, white van is broken down, distros continue
- asaad & shido working on relaunch for late march - doing planning & structural work, getting up & running, turning lessons learned into simple protocols, fulfilling mission statement. still need to sort out late rent.
- rachel, push on American REscue plan provision bill to provide low income families $300/month per under 6, and $250 month 7-17,children, direct payments to poor caregivers to address child poverty
- nobody here
- no news is neutral news
- nobody here
Conflicts, Mediation & Safe Space
- Updates for any ongoing issues
- Has anybody been asked to leave? asked to leave
Other Brief Announcements
Proposals & Discussions
- need a budget for seeds mediation following special delegates meeting on issues, decision to hire a facilitator for a primary facilitated conversation between Robb and Silver others to hold space and provide, Yar talked to Barbara from SEEDS has quoted $1700. Is there a sliding scale option.
- Silver and Robb seem to lean towards doing another mediation circle in-house with Omni people first?
- Yar: This is THE best investment. Need to bring in a 3rd party; everybody is biased.
- AB: need to strengthen our ability to deal with conflicts internally; will be better off in long term.
- Mary Ann: proposes to set limit at $1500, to have a starting point for negotiating
- Vicky: get some help from someone who can teach groups how to resolve conflicts internally? Does SEEDS do this?
- Yar has been taking point on this - feels we should really follow through. We've talked about this for years; sticker shock is not a good reason to pull back now
- John: agrees w proposing $1500 and move forward with facilitated process
- Vicky: is what SEEDS proposed for Silver and Rob only, or a larger group session?
- Silver and Joe: could still set up another internal session as well, while we negotiate w SEEDS
Proposal to do another Omni healing circle next week this time; Vicky may invite an informal facilitator. Meanwhile Yar continues talking w SEEDS for $1500 budget Consensus!
- Yar: NOMA still figuring out collective process. Meet other requirements.
- Mary Ann: made proposal last time on behalf of CSC. Was badly phrased - wants to withdraw that proposal and apologizes. CSC proposes that restorative justice approach is needed to address issues NOMA has raised about internal structure and power relations at Omni
- Delay until next time? May need one for carwash event before then.
- where will the fridge and shack be going precisely? Stick around after Delegates meeting to discuss...
Last Meeting Notes
End of Meeting
- please archive these meeting notes by copying the entire pad contents onto the omni wiki at https://omnicommons.org/wiki
- then please erase the contents of this pad
- then please cut & paste a blank template from here: https://omnicommons.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Delegates_Meeting_Notes_Template&action=edit
- previous notes are archived here: https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Meetings