Event:2021/11/04 Delegates

From Omni Commons
Revision as of 21:54, 4 November 2021 by Yar (talk | contribs) (copy from pad)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Omni Delegates' Meeting - November 4, 2021 7pm-9pm

Meeting Roles

  • Facilitator/s:
  • Stacktaker:
  • Timekeeper:
  • Notetaker/s: Patrik,
  • Next meeting's facilitator(s):


  • ANV: silver
  • CCL: Patrik
  • CSC: active but nobody here
  • FNB: active but nobody here
  • FYE: inactive
  • GWS: Jane
  • LL: anka joined just as jane left
  • Sudo Room: Marc
  • Sudo Mesh: active but nobody here
  • Quorum (2/3 of active groups): need 5, only have 4



  • We are front-loading most of the meeting into these intros! Now is the time to put forward any of the following things, many of which used to have their own meeting sections
    • introduce yourself: name, pronoun, affiliation, if you're a delegate
    • do you have any unmet access needs at this meeting?
    • what meeting roles you'd like to help with
    • discussion topics or proposals you'd like to put on tonight's agenda
    • report-backs from any of your working groups
    • updates from your collective
    • any brief announcements
    • updates on any conflict mediation
    • if you've asked anybody to leave the building due to safe space issues
  • please be BRIEF! Less than 4 minutes per person! Anything that might take longer must be put on the agenda as a discussion item
  • Yar: Sudo member, not delegate. Great. Will help faciliating when necessary, note taking when can. Will check mailing lists for agenda topics. Update on Jenny-AB conflict - do it slow but right
  • Patrik, ccl delegate, he/him. talk about fire cabinets.
  • Jane: delegate GWS. Doing well - grandma duties.
  • Patricia: fledgling Healing Arts project under discussion - next steps?
  • Silver they/them, ANV delegate. Nov 13 roof party! Hope to get building ready by December
  • Marc: Sudo delegate. Haven't been around much - was out of country. Sudo still doing HW hack night Tues, general meeting Wed 6pm.

person who set a fire

  • juul can give overview
  • person is well-known and has been to sudoroom events many times before.
  • link to jake's email https://omnicommons.org/pipermail/consensus/2021-October/003008.html
    • Many people feel this is a no-go issue. Marc feels there may be a way forward by talking to this person.
    • Quote from Jake: "I think it's obvious that E should be banned from The Omni but I don't know what process is appropriate for documenting this."
      • Yar: been thinking about structure of bans - maybe framing it as conditions people would have to meet to return. Up to them if they can do that.

fire alarm system

  • yar: finance today Approved up to $1500 but hopefully less was approved by finance committe for a trial system
  • dk: Would cover 10 nodes. maybe in the bathrooms? $100 per extra alarm - can grow as needed. Unit can also talk to other systems - access control, proximity alarm etc. Control unit is glorified Arduino system with touch screen and 4 different radio freqs - can call fire dept if needed. Links wirelessly to any number of sensor units within 2000ft (2km?). Can also connect peer-to-peer between sensors for longer distance.
    • $5k would be a final install with 40 alarms - one in every room.
    • Currently legal non-conforming (grandfathered). If we ever have a fire, we would be forced to put in a $50K alarm instead. Installing the cheaper but still code compliant system before we have a fire, means we wouldn't be forced to get the more expensive one.
      • DK has already signed memoranda of understanding with FD for use of this specific system

fire cabinets

  • DK was going to buy a new flammables cabinet for $1600. Patrik offered to check at upcoming biotech auction. Preference was to get one small (for media lab), one larger (Omni general)
  • Patrik bought a 22gal and a 45gal cabinet - $1300 after auction fees and taxes
    • If that is more volume than Omni can use, CCL is willing to swap the 22gal for our tiny 4gal secondary cabinet
      • Yar: may be more clear once they are in the building. Delay decision?
    • DIY already wired payment to the auction house. No objections to Omni paying $1300 for the cabinets

healing collective

  • patricia wanted to know what the next steps are
  • GWS in support, loves the idea
  • Patrik: as long as insurance issues can be worked out, sounded like you had good answers to that last time
  • patricia: seems like i should follow up with sarah on insurance. maybe best for omni to form our own nonprofit? sarah offered to talk us through that. being umbrella'd sounds simpler but happy to take on that learning project.
  • patrik: it's a bit of an effort but the earlier to do it, the easier
  • dk: working to figure out what we're underwritten for. more diverse sponsored projects Omni has, the harder to get insurance under a single policy. (acupuncture, painting, assembly, etc). DIY helps folks form unincorporated associations and have policy cover all members - doesn't have to be a c3.
  • yar: Set up a meeting or email thread to sort out details? sarah, david.
  • patricia: the current office is still their preferred space. happy to help moving stuff downstairs and don't want to be presumptuous.
  • dk: recommends unincorporated association and getting their own policy, probably will be $60/month
  • marc: what about 501c3EZ? Super easy to apply
    • dk: you mean 1023EZ form
  • patricia: Looking forward to follow up. Have been talking w Sarah as well.
  • dk: wants folks to understand that quiet space is hard to ensure at omni. not possible to regulate noise transmission outside whatever room you rent. you're sharing a wall with the ballroom. as long as that's ok, i'd love to have them in the building.
  • patrik: no candles or incense
    • patricia: i assume because they're flammable? is there a stance on essential oils or aromas?
      • People have raised issues with scented cleaning projects before. Creating negative pressure with quiet ceiling fan may be good idea
      • Marc: could be mitigated with carbon filter - speaking as someone who has issues with scents
      • Patricia: Essential oils would be a nice-to-have, not essential to the work.
  • Yar is setting up Healing Collective email to follow up with everybody involved


  • silver planning party for saturday nov 13
  • jane wants to help. silver will send a sign up sheet tomorrow or day after
  • dk's having another roofer come tomorrow, maybe will help with party, give quote
  • maryann's son might help, had offered to rebuild roof for cost of materials, but was turned down somehow and felt bad? but nobody knows why. Does construction, but not a roofer per se.

mail room

  • https://omnicommons.org/pipermail/consensus/2021-November/003051.html
  • patrik: this seems like a great solution
  • yar agrees
  • marc: you can give a key or code to USPS, but not fedex or UPS because their routes are less predictable. prefer physical key to a code.
  • david: we'll make sure the slider gate is installed. will have combo lock. access to alcove would not give access to the rest of the building.
  • we don't technically have full quorum but will give people a week to object before the door gets cut in half

hosting GOSH (Gathering for Open Science Hardware) in November 2022

  • juul: Should I just talk to booking folks? or is this big enough that we should talk about this at a future meeting
  • not urgent, 200-400 people. Would need most of Omni for ~week

omni chat

  • (juul: i totally added this during the meeting so we can skip)
  • Official chat for omni?
  • part of matrix.org directory structure
  • Yar: "Knock yourself out!"


  • yar: i feel strongly we should not rush this, and not make a final decision tonight. i've talked to both asaad and jenny this week and both agree with doing it slow and doing it right
  • Yar: not conflict steward, but acting as one. Working on writing up feasible agreement between Jenny and Asaad. Making progress. Hope to wrap up by next delegates mtg

not letting robb do AV or events

  • yar's understanding of the situation at this point, is it would take a delegate's decision to affirm that robb has met whatever conditions he needs to come back. that can be decided in the hypothetical situation that we are close to such an event.
  • dk: i hate writing things like this. i get along with robb. it's been months of disgorging stuff and correcting hazardous situations. so many dangerous things. i think he knew that. he knows what's wrong, willfully disregards safety.
  • yar: i think the status quo is that robb can't do AV or events and it would take a delegates decision to change that
  • patrik: even for personal conflicts we'd need to hear from conflict stewards at a delegate meeting. i think for all the abuse of the building he did that'd be a reason in itself to not let him back.

End of Meeting