Omni Delegates' Meeting - November 18, 2021 7pm-9pm
- Talk at https://meet.google.com/diw-hszw-msr or 515-428-1108 (PIN: 465814905)
- Type at https://omnicommons.org/notes
- Send proposals to email@example.com prior to the meeting
- Next meeting's facilitator(s): silver on 11/2!
- ANV: silver
- CCL: patrik
- CSC: roberto
- FNB: helen
- FYE: inactive
- GWS: active but nobody here
- LL: Anka
- Sudo Room: active but nobody here
- Sudo Mesh: inactive
- Quorum (2/3 of active groups): 4 of 7 present = no quorum
- We are front-loading most of the meeting into these intros! Now is the time to put forward any of the following things, many of which used to have their own meeting sections
- introduce yourself: name, pronoun, affiliation, if you're a delegate
- do you have any unmet access needs at this meeting?
- what land are you on?
- what meeting roles you'd like to help with
- discussion topics or proposals you'd like to put on tonight's agenda
- report-backs from any of your working groups
- updates from your collective
- any brief announcements
- updates on any conflict mediation
- if you've asked anybody to leave the building due to safe space issues
- please be BRIEF! Less than 4 minutes per person! Anything that might take longer must be put on the agenda as a discussion item
- yar she/her
- silver anv, art show at omni saturday 12/4 6pm-1am. roberto will be doing spoken word (theoretically)
- commons wg meeting tomorrow friday 4pm at this same link
- anv csa taking a winter break, went bagless
- patrik he/him CCL, prepping for this weekend's global community bio summit. 5th annual
- patricia she/her, fledgling healing arts sliding-scale office at omni, in process.
- roberto: csc exhibition @ dream farm commons, saturday 2-4. djs, low key https://www.facebook.com/events/567838090977831/
- helen fnb she/her
- meeting with sarah and david hasn't happened yet
- link to david's email https://omnicommons.org/pipermail/consensus/2021-November/003091.html
MaryAnn's son Mike was kind enough to return to omni recently and quote a medium-term fix to the roof that he is willing to guarantee for 7 years.
While he was on the roof, he also suggested replacing the skylights and provided that as well in a separate quote.
- Roofing quote:
- $18.5K; he said he is willing to knock $4K off the the roof quote price if we can provide three volunteers who "know how to roll paint".
- Takes 3 days to execute and needs 7 days of dry weather,
- Could do in next two weeks otherwise probably would be next year
- Needs 50% down to schedule
- The quote is high-level and not as-yet very specific. He did mention the rubber-like substance he was going to use to lay over the roof (and use to feather up a few areas to prevent pooling), but unfortunately I can't recall the name of the product - I've asked him to follow up with that information.
He estimated the weight of the additional roof layer to be ~400lb. That's not so much and so just speaking personally, I am not as concerned about the structural impacts of the weight of the additional layer as I would otherwise be, though others may be concerned (since it's also true we don't know how many layers of roof we presently have, as we have not yet cored the roof.)
- Skylight replacement quote:
- $8.945.21 incl. donating his labor time (!) to Omni.
- Needs 100% down to schedule as skylights would be custom-ordered.
Mike seems incredibly nice. Both quotes are substantially lower than a typical roofing or skylight replacement quote. However, each quote nonetheless still represents a significant expense to Omni obviously.
Safer DIY might (not yet determined) be willing to e.g. front Omni the 50% needed to engage the roof quote, provided it was paid back by Omni, say at least by the time of Omni's refi.
- Followup email:
- new material: is elastomeric & EDRD rubber - thick liquid rubber that when it touches roof material it bonds with it
- he will also install 3x new roof drains in addition to existing drains
- the current 12-day forecast following tonight’s sprinkle he says is rare in rainy season and the ideal time
- the new skylights he quoted are remotely operable (open) and come with remotely operable shades as well
- Ps. Also after the 3rd week of december he will be tied up with a 6-month job building a house in Tahoe
- everybody present thinks this is a good idea but worried about meager quorum and short notice for our collectives. will give people a few more days to object but will plan to move ahead by monday?
- DK: fact that we are redoing roof will help us refinance. Not aware of any other upcoming big costs.
- patrik: assuming that nobody objects by monday, and assuming that DIY can front some of the cost, we consent to going ahead?
- YES (ccl, liblens, csc, anv) ABSTAIN (fnb). Consensus!
- for both roof and skylights!
- not urgent, not expensive. last meeting we didn't have quorum. haven't heard any objections since then?
- YES (ccl, fnb, ll, anv, csc). consensus!
how to talk to people
- deferred, jake's not here
- dk wants $1500k for electrical and other expenses
- want to start being frugal after this
- YES (ccl) ABSTAIN (fnb, csc, anv, ll)
- lukewarm approval, hoping for a clearer final budget to approve wholeheartedly next meeting
End of Meeting
- please archive these meeting notes by copying the entire pad contents onto the omni wiki at https://omnicommons.org/wiki
- then please erase the contents of this pad
- then please cut & paste a blank template from here: https://omnicommons.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Delegates_Meeting_Notes_Template&action=edit
- previous notes are archived here: https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Meetings