Omni Delegates' Meeting - February 3, 2022 7pm-9pm
- Talk at https://meet.google.com/diw-hszw-msr or 515-428-1108 (PIN: 465814905)
- Type at https://omnicommons.org/notes
- Send proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the meeting
Folks Present : Marc J, Sarah L, Silver, Joe, Yar, Patricia, President Jake, Patrick
- Notetaker/s: silver, yar
- Next meeting's facilitator(s):
- ANV: silver, but inactive
- CCL: Patrik
- CSC: inactive
- FNB: joe, active
- FYE: inactive
- GWS: inactive
- LL: active if someone shows, inactive if not
- Sudo Room: Jake, active
- Sudo Mesh: marc, active
- Quorum (2/3 of active groups): 4/5 active groups, yes
- We are front-loading most of the meeting into these intros! Now is the time to put forward any of the following things, many of which used to have their own meeting sections
- introduce yourself: name, pronoun, affiliation, if you're a delegate
- do you have any unmet access needs at this meeting?
- what land are you on?
- what meeting roles you'd like to help with
- discussion topics or proposals you'd like to put on tonight's agenda
- report-backs from any of your working groups
- updates from your collective
- any brief announcements
- updates on any conflict mediation
- if you've asked anybody to leave the building due to safe space issues
- please be BRIEF! Less than 4 minutes per person! Anything that might take longer must be put on the agenda as a discussion item
- yar she/her, doing good!!
- Sarah she/her, omni secratery , Tired, about to start painting crows nest room. will become av cable storage
- Silver they/them
- FNB last night consented to start paying omni $500/mo
- free store hasn't had a lot of volunteers lately. they're trying to figure out more structure
- sudo hardware hacking night was fun. making laptops for folks who use the computers upstairs (which are going away)
- Joe FNB had an amazing FNB MTG, the largest meeting ever! Doing good
- Jake, any pronoun, sudoroom. tuesday was great. big dog, fixit clinic person. historical radio society. repairing leslie organ in ballroom. trying to build sudo membership. working with dk on buildingwide improvements (like fan louvres & front door). bucket chocolate.
- yar remembers trying to cut chocolate with a heat gun last time. harder than it looked.
- patricia - still conniving about some sort of wellness collaboration. want to check in with some brainstorms, followup questions.
- marc juul, he/him, sudomesh delegate. Waiting to hear about grant. Someone offered free oligos (short pieces of DNA)
- patrik, he/him, ccl delegate. wants roof update. Wondering about RFID lock
- Marc and Jake are working on getting rfid lock on door to CCL/Sudo
- John is resigning; became pres of his union. Need a new John; will take whatever we can get.
- nominees encouraged. we have officers insurance so you're not at much legal liability.
- jake talked to someone who wants more info
- skylights are already here and mike started installing them yesterday
- currently doing ballroom. scaffolding is missing some pieces.
- looking for 16' ladder but they are very hard to find right now. huge shortage.
- how much will this impact ccl?
- mike has been paid in full by diy. omni still owes diy money.
- delegates should probably consider paying the extra it went over-budget
- the extra $980 is for materials (extra goo), not for labor. he's donated a fortune's worth of free labor.
- next ballroom event is february 13th.
- "commons working group" has been renamed "omni event group"
- meetings 5pm fridays
- february 13th event probably 40-50 people. a pilot/introduction for new working group volunteers to learn together. skating rink in ballroom.
- california's new vaccine / id requirements
- long discussion without conclusion
- Standard implementation is to check QR code on https://myvaccinerecord.cdph.ca.gov/, or check physical vaccination card
- yar is in favor of requiring vaccines in principle but does not like the legal-name and id-checking component of it
- proposal at https://omnicommons.org/pipermail/consensus/2022-February/003244.html
- sarah has been doing a ton of work to make airflow better in ballroom
- fans are on timers. baffling window covers on hinges. fixing louvres to increase flow.
- jake: i'm willing to do stuff free & diy. ask me before you pay for it. wanted to solve louvre problem with a counterweight - but david paid $200 for a motor instead.
- joe: agree with jake. especially for labor intensive items like hinging window covers. a couple people who know how to drill holes and insert screws could do that pretty easily. i think that's how we should use our energy. happy to be able to help if it goes in that direction
- patrik: as long as electrical can be done to code, i don't care how we do it
- sarah: timer switches already been done. david already paid for motors. if people know how to do this stuff and want to and will do it soon, that'd be very exciting. cuz i think david's instinct to pay someone to do it was based on nobody stepping up when he initially proposed them.
- jake: i never heard of this!
- david mentioned the louvres in december but it was part of a very long list
- sarah remembers all of it happening in email threads. but that was the impression.
- patrik: i was aware he was doing lots of little things. but we don't have a good communication channel. would it help to use the blackboard and just list tasks that need to be done?
- wiki? google spreadsheet?
- sarah: omni has $90K in unrestricted funds. we can cover all expenses for 8 months if nobody paid rent. i wouldn't be even proposing this if i felt omni couldn't afford to do this. also, these lists have been parsed. i've spent many months trying to have these tasks and things get communicated and proposed and given the opportunity to get solved etc. tried to streamline this process.
- it'd be great to have entrance hall windows openable on the 13th
- proposal is to allocate $4435
- delegates: YES (patrik/ccl, jake/sudo, juul/mesh); ABSTAIN (); BLOCK (); DEFER (joe/fnb)
- proposal to pay just for motors & switch, and reimbursing diy for previous switches $1935
- delegates: YES (patrik/ccl, jake/sudo, juul/mesh, joe/fnb Silver/ANV (inactive)); ABSTAIN (); BLOCK ()
- patricia: thanks for having me here!
- Other people dropped out, may reappear if there is a location
- i can't start a nonprofit by myself. i found one that might be able to envelop use.
- what's protocol for having ballroom events? can we have popups for folks to feel out the space, or folks to feel us out.
- popups would be great
- that roll of stuff in the disco room is actually a floor
- how did backspace's arrangement work? how did the cafe work?
- i'd like to clean up the childcare room and the classroom next to it and try some popups in there.
- ticket booth room is storage right now
- small classroom is under construction for the mail room project, which was started and then stopped halfway through. david's still looking for a new contractor.
- patricia is interested in the classroom but sarah thinks that's not practical, and soundproofing that room is not realistic
- kids room probably best?
- patrik: for a temporary popup, i think it's fine
- they don't want liblens room
- silver: patricia has been helpful on work days! thank you for sitting with us through these meetings. i know they're very flexible. since the room isn't utilized right now and we're not gonna have big events right now, this will be fine for now.
- yar agrees
- sarah is fine with the occasional event as long as it's a temporary use of the space, ideally in the kids room and not the small classroom, and there isn't any permanent soundproofing installed in either space
- Patrik: start scheduling things, and see how it works
- sarah: btw, that computer area upstairs is going away, bookshelves are going along that wall, omni's moving office anyway, want to make that room nice
- asaad sent an email to some individuals
- Suggested forgiving rent, and rebooting in July. And/or moving out end of February?
- FYE members upset about artwork being moved. Was supposed to be stored outside their office
- sarah had thought the problem was artwork being moved from basement to being hung in the ballroom - is that what happened or was it something else? it was very strange and nobody seemed to take responsibility for having done this.
- first noticed this "a couple weeks before the end of the year - late december - when i was doing drywall"
- yar: so was it before or after the big events?
- things had been left over from exhibition at dream farm commons? unclear? roberto was dealing with that? ask him
- does anybody know anything about any artwork being moved?
- nobody here does
- jake: omni's building is accessible to a lot of people. may have been someone who didn't have much awareness of our community norms and just empowered themselves to move things around. hopefully any omni member (such as the artists) should understand by now that sometimes we lock doors and expect things to be safe, but especially when things aren't behind locked doors, they might be moved around. by someone who's not accountable to our meetings. things get stolen all the time because we're not prioritizing security in our building, we're prioritizing inclusivity. to make a big deal about this would be like complaining that a laptop disappeared from sudoroom. ccl probably gets stuff contaminated all the time.
- working group reboot?
- New volunteer involved in BACE time bank (https://sfbace.org/) built database for us:
- new grant opportunity database https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HzQ1hTH-IgzMUZRRIbvvsRAS83FjJo3b1csqcViijOM/edit?authuser=1
- great opportunity to get involved if people want to get this group started again
- marc: still need to make a decision about how to comply with state/city rules
- joe: default to following law. we have to accept that responsibility for reasons that were stated. elder people are more exposed, people with conditions we have to protect. once you let down, you start creating a network that you don't know where it's going, with the microbe.
- jake: that's what we endeavor to do, but still question of, in practice, how are we gonna do that. we have a strong objection to checking peoples' ids, which means someone would need to research and propose a solution and come back with that
- yar: law says you're supposed to cross check with photo id. if people are willing to ignore that and take risk as omni together, that's fine.
- silver: a lot of people have fake vax cards too
- sarah: bars already check your id for a drink?
- yar: i wouldn't hold an event at a bar because those are exclusionary spaces because they check id
- "The Proof of Vaccination Rule does also not apply to a private meeting of fewer than
50 people where food or beverage is provided incidental to the meeting, such as a workshop or seminar." https://cao-94612.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/FREQUENTLY-ASKED-QUESTIONS.pdf
- Private event means that people need to sign up in advance, and there should be a list of names at the door
- long discussion not written down
- sarah's proposal to bring new groups into omni https://omnicommons.org/pipermail/consensus/2022-February/003243.html
- deferred discussion
End of Meeting
- please archive these meeting notes by copying the entire pad contents onto the omni wiki at https://omnicommons.org/wiki
- then please erase the contents of this pad
- then please cut & paste a blank template from here: https://omnicommons.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Delegates_Meeting_Notes_Template&action=edit
- previous notes are archived here: https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Meetings