Below are proposals for business models for the Omni Collective, namely the mechanisms by which income covers expenses, and creates revenue (in this case, primarily for re-investment, and some for savings).
Draft Proposal: Membership Model
At heart, the Omni Collective is a spokescouncil, a deliberative collective that is fundamentally a voluntary association, but that is a representative-based, thin, coordination-level organization to facilitate the effective collaboration of member-groups that comprise the whole collective. Its primary function should be consensus-building among the member-groups, using delegates as fully-accountable representatives of each member-group. See the Founding Document for more...
The Omni Collective nods to the historical use of voluntary associations of many varieties, and the practice of membership as a means for horizontal organization, free of coercion and based on consent, in order to work toward common goals for mutual and public benefit.
In order to respect the Omni Collective's structure and values, while also working within multiple, overlapping political-economic contexts, the only effective business model is that based on membership, also known as a subscription business model. To translate membership/subscription into monetary systems, the fee is used.
This implies that the Omni Collective shall:
- Itemize a collection of assets and services
- Generate corresponding prices based on access to those assets and services
- These prices should correspond to costs/expenses.
- Levy consented-upon fees that correspond to the relevant, priced assets and services for each member-group.
- Provide discounts to certain fees as may apply, depending on the nature of membership and activities of each member-group.
- Potentially provide multiple forms of membership in order to match access to assets and services to the needs and interests of membership-classes.
- For instance, "Friends of the Omni" may be a special kind of membership for family and friends who wish to support the Omni Collective, and as a result, get access to some desirable assets and services.
Concretely, the core membership of Omni Collective will be responsible for the following fees (unless some discounts are agreed upon collectively):
- Membership Fee (e.g. $50 / mo)