The Omni Oakland Collective
ORIENTATION SHORT SHEET
Greetings, and thanks for your interest in the OMNI COLLECTIVE.
A Collective of Collectives in Oakland, California
From Latin omni-, "all, every, the whole, of every kind," OMNI Collective is comprised of several Bay Area collectives with a shared political vision—one that, at its most basic level, privileges a more equitable commoning of resources and meeting of human needs over private interests or corporate profit. To this end, we invite you to join us in establishing a hub: a safe productive place to pool resources for the collective use and stewardship of the greater community. A space that fosters an ethic of radical collaboration across disciplines and between individual collectives, creating a living model for future radical spaces. By collectivizing, we are able to consolidate expenses for the purpose of amplifying one anothers’ goals. OMNI is far greater than the sum of its parts.
OMNI is making manifest a different way of being together. This is not a project that aims to realize the impossible. Rather, OMNI represents a complete perspectival shift, one that allows us to model a way of living outside of the mandates of private interests and corporate profit. It is a reclamation of the Commons. We are creating a space where resources are mutually cared for, cultivated and shared. For more info: http://www.omni-oakland.org/
Delegate Meetings And Joining The Collective
Delegate meetings are open for anyone to come and witness. If you would like to formally join the Omni Collective as a member, we have created this short sheet to facilitate the procedure:
- Please read our vision statement / governing principles to determine if your collective would be a good fit.
- Attend an Omni Meeting (1st, 2nd, and 4th Thursdays of the month at 7pm at 2141 Broadway, in the Common Space)
- Present your collective to the group. This should include a description of what you do, points of synergy w/the Omni collective, some thoughts as to how we can help one another (i.e.: what can you provide to the community? what do you need?) What you'd like to provide to the greater community.
- Please fill the sheet below and submit to OMNI in preparation.
The voting process: After your presentation, the Delegates will take the information to their respective groups. We will make a decision at the next Delegates meeting, in a closed vote.
If approved, the following:
- Choose a delegate to represent your collective in Omni Delegate meetings
- ATTEND Omni Delegate meetings and participate in / contribute to the ongoing evolution of the project!
QUESTIONS FOR POTENTIAL COLLECTIVES
1. Mission statement What do you do? What happens in the world because you exist?
2. Origin and group history How did you start? What have you done?
3. Participation in the Omni Why are you interested in becoming a member? How does your group intend to use the space? What are your needs?
4. Group finances and contribution to the Omni What does your group do to support itself financially? What are your best and second-best plans for contributing your potential share of rent to the Omni?
5. Additional Is there any other information that you think would be useful for us to know about your group?