Responsibilities of and Guidelines for event Point Person(s)
We use the name Responsibilibuddy at Omni Commons to signify that someone is taking on a role of responsibility. In particular, it is most often used to refer to an individual who is taking responsibility for the relationship and hosting of a group or event in the Omni Commons.
Below are expectations for being a Responsibilibuddy.
Responsibilities for acting as "Responsibilibuddy" or "Point Person" for an event hosted at Omni Commons.
Prior to Event
Step 1] Open the request in the wordpress (sign in, then search for and edit the request)
[Step 2] Check omnicommons.org/calendar to make sure the date, room and time are open for the event. (Also make sure you, or a second point person, can attend the event). If this is a recurring event, check the first one and see below under Recurring Events.
[Step 3] Check this list of common booking logistics to make sure the person has chosen the right space for their event. Once they have been addressed and do fit these logistical criteria, proceed to [Step 4].
Be SURE they are familiar with the space and have been to the Omni (if they haven't, they should visit before going further).
Room capacity: Will they exceed it? Is there group small enough that their use of the space wouldn't really be fair to larger groups? Are they using enough, but only enough room?
Sound: Will it be loud? (If so, it can't go past 10pm) Will this be disruptive because of location or other events at the same time? Do they need quiet, and will that be possible?
Make sure the event doesn't require special equipment we can't accommodate (or they haven't assumed something we can't provide)
Value alignment: This one is tricky, some things are more sublte than others. If the organization clearer supports an oppressor, obviously say no right off the bat. If it's harder to tell, if there's a chance it might be a hot button issue, definitely email the Disciss and Consensus mailing lists before continuing.
Step , First Contact
Email the address on the request letting them know you have volunteered and will be in further contact as you figure out the details and finalize the decision. Coordinate with the event organizer to ensure there are no conflicts on the Omni’s calendar or concerns among Omni members about the event.
There should be a template with this guide, or ask one of us for it.
- Work with the potential renter and members of the Omni to resolve any scheduling conflicts.
- _IF LOGISTICS MUST BE ADDRESSED email the address on the request and ask about adjusting their event to fit these logistics.
- Be sure to include the following basic information:
- Let them know you will bring it up at the next Commons Working Group meeting, which they are welcome to attend as well, before finalizing the request.
- Share the Omni’s rental policy and pricing guidelines (found here: https://omnicommons.org/occupy/omni-commons-rental-policy-and-fee-structure/ source: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p2EUwLbxWyngymb1x4ZuCJOWHwZTfb7FgEiZq9Midfg/edit?usp=drive_web) with the event organizer. Work with them to determine a rental rate that is fair and reasonable for all parties.
- Communicate the Omni’s expectations for behavior in the space (i.e., safer space policy) to the event organizer, as well as responsibilities for clean up and trash disposal after the event.
- Share the Omni’s rental contract (found here: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/#folders/0ByjR12L1MEjCdE9LYVd5WXYyNDg/0B-AL95NlI75qVFlQakRPRWZZNVk) with the event organizer and ask them to return a signed copy, as well as a 50% deposit for the rental fee, prior to the event. Checks should be made to the Omni Oakland Commons.
- If necessary, schedule time to meet with the event organizer to show them the space and discuss any concerns prior to the event.
- Update the event rentals tracking spreadsheet that is used for invoicing: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BXxNRMsfXNS93sUfToc_0iUwktK31EBUpnh6hVFwiVM/edit#gid=0
During the Event
- Be present for the event to answer any questions and ensure everything runs smoothly.
- If not already done, collect the signed rental agreement and remaining rental fee from the event organizer.
- Make sure the space is clean and excessive trash has been taken away after the event.
After the Event
- Return signed rental agreement and rental fee to Omni’s CFO.
- Thank the event organizer for hosting their event at the Omni.
- Communicate any feedback on the event or your experience as bottom-liner to the Commons working group. This is all an experiment! # We will continue to change and improve the process as we learn from our mistakes.