Welcome to the Omni Commons
What if one of the largest community centers and venue spaces in the Bay Area was run by a volunteer collective where everybody is a leader, where people give what they can and take what they need? We are trying to do just that, at the Omni Commons.
We love new people! There are many ways to get involved:
- join a member collective
- join a working group
- come to an event on our calendar
- Use the space for your own event or meeting
- Help out with someobody else's event
- join a mailing list
- come to a general omni meeting (1st & 3rd thursdays, 7pm)
- buy us toilet paper or take out the trash. No,seriously.
- Help us work on the building to make it safer and more accessible
Who's in Charge?
Everybody is in charge. Really.
Members of our 8 collectives make decisions together using consensus, on the 1st and 3rd Thursday of every month - they're called "Delegate Meetings" because every group has to send at least one person - meetings are open to everybody.
The delegates do not function as any sort of governing body for the groups involved in any general sense. There are no senators. Their only and sole point is to reach consensus on the use of the space, how to pay bills, resolve any conflicts between the groups in the space, interface with the state, banks, authorities and map out the logistical dissemination of the collective work needed to maintain the space as a commons open to the surrounding community: That's it.
There are rules and expectations. It's very important that everybody in the community understand what they are, so we can function together harmoniously:
- Founding Document and Omni History
- Safer Space Policy and Statement of Solidarity
- Conflict Resolution Policy
Details! I want details!
- Here is a list of outstanding issues in the building which need skilled labor
- Here is a Calendar of all our meeting notes
(on the Archival Calendar)