Use this page to document planned or ongoing Omni construction projects. Please include floor plans and/or photographs so everyone knows exactly where any proposed construction is planned to happen. Consider creating a separate page for larger projects, but link to it with a short summary from here.
Use the Annotated Floorplan as the basis for your drawings (or the Detailed Drawings if you absolutely need specific details). And please use the names and numbers in square brackets on these floorplans to refer to specific rooms:
-->>> Omni building tasks and needs – running list <<<--
URGENT: ADA bathroom
Requirements: Per the lease, all construction that we'll be reimbursed for 50% by our landlord has to be signed off by a licensed contractor. For design requirements, see: http://www.bobrick.com/Documents/PlanningGuide.pdf
Construction almost done, but please don't use this bathroom yet until the floor tiles are patched up - wouldn't want to get any spills seeping into the fresh cement!
The door to the ADA bathroom is currently locked.
- I would talk to Ben [Burke] about this. I don't know all of the details but I am fairly certain that we are waiting on the permit before we can finish the bathroom (inspections require certain things to be open such as plumbing).Ben likely knows what the status of the permit is, I think.
- I think DK has the key but Ben or Yar may also have one. This bathroom is not currently up to ADA code and we should not have folks using it until it is.
- Last time I worked on this bathroom was before the BACH unconference. We tried to work around the untreated concrete issue by mounting the toilet through a garbage bag. But I made a really stupid error when designing this solution and it's a good thing nobody used it because if the wax seal isn't perfect, it could stain the concrete with poop water. Last time I saw it - over a month ago - the toilet was still sitting there full of water that, when flushed, could possibly leak into the concrete. It's a very good thing it was locked. For all I know nothing has changed and it's still sitting there over a poorly engineered garbage bag. There were two keys in existence and I gave one to David Keenan, another to David Brazil.
URGENT: Required upgrades for fire code
Fire extinguishers and exit signs
ADA wheelchair lift
Requirements: Per the lease, all construction that we'll be reimbursed for 50% by our landlord has to be signed off by a licensed contractor
PORTABLE SYSTEM INSTALLED - see Wheelchair Lift
We plan to replace this system with a more permanent installation in the future, when building modification plans have settled a bit.
La Commune Cafe & Bookstore
La Commune will be required to make several upgrades / renovations to the bar room in order to meet ADA and Health Codes.
Required upgrades would include:
- Grinding and refinishing the concrete floor behind the bar
- Stripping and refinishing all wooden surfaces behind the bar
- Removing all fixtures behind bar and patching holes in the walls
- Putting all fixtures on casters
- Replacing all 3 compartment sinks as the ice wells are rusted and unusable
- Replacing all refrigerators (they are missing compressors and need new seals)
- Installing a 12"x12" floor sink
- Installing a mop sink
- Installing a smooth ceiling above any food prep areas
- Lowering portion of the bar for ADA seating access
- Lowering portion of the bar for espresso machine
We would like submit the following proposal in order to address these requirements:
- Removing the current bar and replacing it with a brand new bar built using reclaimed wood, some of which would come from renovations in other parts of the building. The new bar will be shorter and more compact. It will feature a hardwood bar top, proper heights and widths for ADA accessibility as well as for ergonomic and food safety.
- Replacing the cabinetry and refrigeration behind the bar. We will replace the existing refrigerator behind the west side of the bar with a sandwich prep refrigerator and will dispose of the other two inoperable units behind the north side of the bar. We will also install an ice machine, a new 3 compartment sink and dishwasher behind this portion of the bar.
- Building two 10’ movable bar islands with carrara marble tops storage underneath along the North side of the room. Behind these areas we will feature bookshelves. Currently this portion of the bar is dead space and will be used more effectively as seating area/shelving.
- We will be installing a 12”x12” floor sink behind the bar, as well as mop sink in one of the back rooms behind the walk-in refrigerator.
- Closing off any unnecessary plumbing along the North side of the room.
Additionally, we would like to do the following:
- Remove existing lighting and replacing with pendant lighting fixtures.
New sinks for CCL
CCL needs a minimum of 2 sinks - ideally 3: one in the BioSafety Level 2 lab room, one in the main lab space, plus perhaps one more for food projects.
There are two options for where to install the sinks, depending on where the drain will go:
(2) Drain to the washout sink for La Commune, opposite the walk-in cooler (see below)
La Commune needs a washout sink
Waiting to hear whether it needs to be on the same floor - otherwise FNB's mop sink or one in the room next to the shower might do.
If it does need to be on the same floor, Fazul quoted $4500 for a washout sink opposite the walk-in cooler, with an ejector pump. If this is the only feasible solution for La Commune, CCL may be willing to share the cost.
FNB needs a washout sink
Trees - see separate page
See also Parked ideas about the Omni.
- Refinish (or just clean & polish) ballroom floor
- Tear down marquee to open up ballroom windows
- Roof garden
- Strip garden along building facade on 48th