Event:2018/03/15 Delegates Meeting

From Omni Commons
Revision as of 13:11, 16 March 2018 by Lynnhowe (talk | contribs) (Created page with "Omni Delegates' Meeting - 15 March 2018 7pm-9pm === Agenda === * Introductions, Meeting Roles, and Delegates Count [10 minutes] * Access Check-in [5 minutes] * Announcements...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Omni Delegates' Meeting - 15 March 2018 7pm-9pm

Agenda

  • Introductions, Meeting Roles, and Delegates Count [10 minutes]
  • Access Check-in [5 minutes]
  • Announcements [5 minutes]
  • Bans [5 minutes]
  • Working Group Report-Backs [15 minutes]
  • Member Collective Updates (10 minutes)
  • Proposal X: [15 minutes]
  • Proposal Y: [15 minutes]
  • Discussion Z: [10 minutes]

Introductions

Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Affiliation; any brief announcements; say whether you're a delegate; let us know about any access needs you have†

  • Julian,
  • Sierk, he/they,
  • Pol, living in Oakland, looking to use the space, writing about homelessness
  • Ken, CCL,
  • Joe, FNB, he/him
  • Helen, FNB delegate, usually she/her, a little deaf - please talk loudly
  • Laura, Commons/Fundraise & Finance, She/her
  • Philip MCDonald, FNB,
  • Mary Ann

† Is everybody able to participate fully in this meeting? Do people have unmet needs or concerns?

Meeting Roles

  • Facilitator/s: Julian, Joe
  • Explanation of hand signals: "deaf applause", "raised hand", "point of process", "direct response"(wildcard), etc.
  • Stacktaker: Philip
  • Timekeeper: Ken
  • Notetaker/s: Julian, Laura
  • Vibe Reader: Joe
  • Next meeting's facilitator(s): Helen maybe?

Delegates

  • ABDC: Lindsey
  • BAPS: Julian
  • CCL: Ken
  • CSC: Mary Ann
  • FNB: Helen
  • GWS: Inactive
  • LL:
  • Sudo: Sudo
  • TIL: Inactive
  • GCEA:Almaz - remote
  • Quorum: 7/8 - when almaz joins

New Bans

  • Julian: After the last meeting Yar and Julian communicated to ZRW that the delegates were not satisfied with the completion of the mediation. We informaed him that he could continue a process if he wanted to. He was unhappy about being jerked around. Julian apologized. [Julian will fill in details]
  • Joe - to the best of my recollections Yar told me that ZRW said he was not interested in having any mediation.
  • Julian: My impression is that he has gone back and forth.
  • Phil: In the brief time he was here again he was screaming and yelling at Gwen. When he left his computer area a mess.
  • Joe: Thank you for taking some responsibility for ZRW being jerked around. It isn't the kind of process that I would have like to have had. There were times that were hard for me. We have a lot to deal with but I think we need to have a better way of accepting people back in after being banned.
  • Add to list of people asked to leave

Working Group Report-Backs

Building & permits

Meetings: 1st & 3rd Mondays @ 6pm

  • Joe: IV ebeen talkeing to David K and a window guy about the kitchen windows. Various people in the kitchen working group are getting information to finalize the plans. A plumber came in and told us we have to remove a lot of concrete. We are using Trello to coordinate the tasks.
    • As soon as the rain stops we need to check out the roof; a number of leaks
      • Ken and Sierk concurr
    • trying to hire of plummer of color
  • Laura: Good progress has been made on the wheelchair accessible bathroom.
  • Kitchen meeting is this Monday at 5
  • This group needs help; https://omnicommons.org/lists/listinfo/building

Commons

Meetings: First and Third Thursdays at 6pm

Communications

Meetings: Second and Fourth Wednesdays at 6pm

  • Mostly supporting the ktichen campaign. We are cathcing up after letting things drop a little over February.
  • The online fundraising has stalled. We have raised baout $17,000 for phase 1. COnsidering using some of the big donations in phase 1 as matching donations in phase 2. Talking about how to publicize the end of phase 1 and move on to the next. Possibly have a public event. Previously suggested ideas were to have a food related event. Grant has food industry friends inc one who does a popup taco thing. Considering doing that with music. Maybe have a series of food popups/music event.
  • almaz: GCEA events and participation have help you to raise funds by having black face on your vidio clip.
    • jenny: i don't recall a single video clip of a gcea member in the video - tho multiple black folks from fnb, phat beets, and liblens are represented.
  • Lindsay - what's up with the phases?
    • Philip - explains.
  • Joe - so its cool to use the $25K
  • Ken - I've had the idea to do promos to show that we're actually doing work. plans, videos of construction. tangibly promoting the work will be a draw. i've got some pictures, i'll share those
  • Sierk - I'm working on the drawings and we can use those for publicity, once there is a stamp on the drawings we can start moving. this is a hard phase bc we need to do this initial work to be able to move forward
  • Kitchen this meeting is Monday at 5

Finance

Meetings: Currently conjoined with Fundraising, 2nd & 4th Mondays at 6pm

  • Laura - We've continued to do well on our event income - $3.5-6K/month
  • Lindsay - can we talk about event rentals after the meeting? I want to better understand the operations of the building

Fundraising

Meetings: Currently conjoined with Finance,, 2nd & 4th Mondays at 6pm

Member Collective Updates

What is going on with your collective? What are you working on? What have you accomplished? Any events coming up? Any difficulties you are encountering that you need help with?

ABDC

  • We are trying to go in a new direction with rent paying member recruitment. We are havng an event in April to bring new people in and teach them to screen print.

BAPS

  • Continues to have 3 classes. DSA marxist reading group, Endnotes reading group, writing group

CCL

  • Last night we had a company bring in a gun that tests for heavy metals in soil. We tested soil samles from around the building and there is some uranium, and some tree wells have lead and some dont. This machine is on loan, but we are going to try to set up some kiind of community soil testing program.
  • On Sunday we're having an introduction to fungi cultivation at far west fungi. Price of admission is potluck.

CSC

  • We have dozens of things going on. The Zapatista artwork has gone to La Pena and East Side Arts Alliance. Willhavae receptions.
  • Next Waffles and Zapatismo is 3/31 at 10 am, topic is the 1994 uprising.
  • Julian: One of the new Comms WG volunteers came to the Omni after having a great time at W & Z.

FNB

  • Helen - we have settled a place for our Sunday kitchen. we've got the 29th of April of People's Park anniversary
    • Long Haul's kitchen is the Sunday

GCEA

GWS

  • Empower Collective event next Wednesday, 3/21 @ 7pm @ omni - Sex Worker collective from Thailand touring the US."Empower Foundation is a sex workers’ collective in Thailand which for 30 years has been promoting rights and opportunities for sex workers, especially access to education, health and legal advocacy. Over the years 50,000 sex workers have passed through their doors including migrant women from Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam."
    • please come and spread the word! <3

LL

  • Next film screening is April

Sudo

  • Sierk: A few new events and classes have started. On Saturday there are now classes in programming arduinos started by a new member. Also wants to bring to libraries. Working with LL on monthly 3d animation classes. Other people also owant to work more with other collectives.
  • Jenny: We received a donation of 85 laptops from a startup in SF that I've been pestering them about for over a year. We're now trying to raise funds for power supplies and hard drives, and have thus far achieved ~half our goal - $2500/5000 - please ping if you/your collective is willing to make a donation. Our fundraiser is on fb but we accept any form of payment: https://www.facebook.com/donate/198111750959829/
    • ~ 60 of those 85 laptops have already been allocated to majority youth / POC / low-income / activist / media-makers. pm me if you know of someone in need - we're organizing multiple tradeups as well.

TIL

Proposal: Endorse Press Release by Village

via Jenny 3/14: https://omnicommons.org/pipermail/consensus/2018-March/001233.html

  • Joe: many of us have been supporting the village. They have been building housing out of pallets on E 23rd. They're having new discussions about having to leave (and order by the city). They're having a press conference tomorrow. Jenny had asked that we discuss this with our members to see if we can sign on with our members.

Discussion

  • Mary Ann - CSC got approval
  • Helen decided that FNB would agree
  • Sudo agreed
  • Lindsay - I'm not familiar with the details of the proposal
    • various people explain both what the Village will do
  • Julian - I haven't heard from Steve but I don't at all imagine he would block

Implicit vote

  • we have consensus

Discussion: on officers-elect

  • Julian - particants in this discussion have asked that conversation be temporarily removed; I will share the details of the conversation with those present and revise to a summary before the next delegates meeting.


Discussion: process for people to return from a ban

  • Mary Ann - I thought I heard Joe express concerns about the process. I was going to suggest that people interested in dealing with the process issue. a person in CSC that does restorative justice in OUSD could be interested in supporting us in following a better process; i'm not committing him.
    • people have to want it to work.
  • Ken - if we can step outward a little bit. maybe a dedicated delegates meeting for how to deal with bringing people back.
  • a process for people who have been banned; how they could be brought back to the Omni community. given that there are doubts about how this has gone, so we want to.
  • we're putting that off


Last Meeting Notes

https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Event:2017/MM/DD_Delegates_Meeting

End of Meeting