Working Group Protocols
(NOTE: For help creating correct wiki pages and adding events to the calendar, contact Jenny [jenny at sudomesh dot org] or Matt [mattsenate at gmail dot com])
In order to make progress on many different aspects of this project, please use the following protocols. The intention is to support horizontal, consent-based, transparent, good-faith collaboration.
Start a Working Group
- Create Working Group wiki page and link to it here: http://wiki.omni-oakland.org/w/Working_Groups
- Articulate "mission" or purpose, goals, and any tasks you already know.
- Schedule regular meetings and add them to the Calendar: http://wiki.omni-oakland.org/w/Calendar
- Announce upcoming meetings on the omni-announce list at least 24 hours prior to meeting: email@example.com
Hold Working Group Meetings
- Before the meeting begins, designate a facilitator and a scribe to take notes
- Conclude the meeting with Outcomes or Action Items and schedule next meeting
- Post meeting notes to the wiki on the Event page (making it discoverable through the calendar)
Join a Working Group
- Check the Calendar and attend the next meeting of the working group.
- Directly contact the individual(s) bottom-lining the group.
- Show up to a meeting, or use the communication channel specified for that group to stay in touch.
Make Progress in a Working Group
- Set goals that aspire to deliver on the working group's "mission" or purpose.
- If necessary, outline tasks in order to reach each goal.
- Make progress on and seek to accomplish any tasks that contribute to the working group's goals.
- When a working group's goals require feedback, formal approval, or simply consent from the Omni Collective, create a proposal:
- Present this proposal to the Omni Collective delegates meeting to ensure each member-group can build consent in their respective community as necessary.
- When a working group has several divergent options or ideas and cannot come to resolution on them alone, then create proposals that represent these options and present these in some way to the whole collective:
- Present proposals at an Omni Collective meeting for feedback
- Ask for feedback on the firstname.lastname@example.org email list
- Ask for feedback from other working groups, member-groups, or individuals that are not involved with your working group.
- Rinse, repeat until you have garnered improvements to your proposal from the invaluable experiences and contributions of everyone involved with the omni collective, ultimately building consensus among the entire collective.
Work on public-facing communications (messaging, outreach, press and public relations) as well as internal communications (inter-group collaboration tools, wiki, mailing list and other tools for communication and collaboration)
- Bottom-liner: Joel and Jenny
- Tuesday, April 29th at 7pm @ The Speakeasy
Challenging Dominant Culture
Exploring bias and issues of diversity and inclusion in the space. Challenging dominant cultural influences and developing projects and relationships more in line with values of social justice, safe space, radical commoning, and anticapitalism.
- Bottom-liner: Margit
- Monday, April 28th @ 3:30pm @ Black Spring Coffee
- Next Meeting Monday March 12 12, 3:30 - 5pm
- For the address, contact Kazoo directly: lovekazoo [at] gmail [dot] com
Legal / Governance
Coordinating logistics around legal consultations, permitting, and finance/budget, as well as helping to coordinate concrete proposals around governance and guidelines for group members in the space.
- Bottom-liners: Andrew and David K
Outstanding resource: Step-by-Step Guide for Starting a California Nonprofit
Focusing on allocation and governance of space in the building, bringing ideas for space usage to concrete proposals and cultivating a team of "Space Stewards" for maintaining the space.
- Bottom-liner: Ahnon