2014/05/03 Omni Hackathon/Using the common space / events
- Matt (sudo), Daniel (sudo), Jordan (sudo), Andrew (hackerspa/backspace), Noemie (sudo), Jenny (sudo), James (sudo), Alana (BAPS)
- Is the stage the only common space? How fluid/flexible will the building as a whole be? Conflicts in 2141 due to not knowing where to refer to for scheduling. Thus far, if you see the space isn't taken you get the space.
- Do we want a vetting process for events? Vetting among the whole collective will be hugely time-intensive.
- Are we going to charge for folks to hold events? Charge sometimes for some events? Charging for alcohol?
- Basement is another prominent common space
- Common space governance
- Many of these issues discussed in the Membership group [link to notes]
- Beyond access, Maintenance & Stewardship
- Thin layer of Omni policies everyone must follow (eg; if your space is open, there must be a member present)
- Access to resources of alternative places for people to sleep - if they aren't available, we make it a goal to make those resources available
- Noise pollution is an issue - creating quiet spaces (libraries)
- Who do we charge and who do we allow to hold events for free?
- Submission process - form online, submit a letter, show up at a meeting, or just request donations for the use of the room, work-trade (omni hours, omnicoin)
- Common spaces should include some reservable spaces with the expectation of privacy
- Minimum requirements of the common space: http://wiki.omni-oakland.org/w/Space_Requirements#The_Commons
- Protocol and expectations for Working Groups - we need one specifically for the Common Space (resources that are shared among all members of the omni)
- What about a live-in custodian?
- Laying down basic structures - bottom-lining process, setup, cleanup process
- Security during events - how to address issues that arise during events?
- Full-fledged conferences
- Working Group for Events?
- Arduino rebots that detect sound levels
- With robot arms that go "shush!"
- Movable partitions
- Sound curtains
- Geodesic domes, hexayurts
- On the mothafuckin' roof!
- Input/output control - vetting donations so we don't accrue a lot of cruft
- Putting responsibility of the donated item on the donor
- Articulate common shared areas
- Articulate basic Omni policies
- Articulate Stewardship responsibilities
- Articulate bottom-liner duties (setup, cleanup, etc)
- Protocol and expectations for Working Groups
- Donation Vetting Crew / Process
Gratuitous Link Dump