The GoFundMe is live at https://www.gofundme.com/f/save-the-omni
How can I help?
- Give at least $5 yourself here
- Make a short 10-20 second video with these instructions
- share the link on social media with these strategies
When's the deadline?
Our hard deadline is December, but we will try to raise as much as we can by the end of October.
What's the plan?
- August: get a solid donor count, hundreds of small donations from primary stakeholders, collective members and our close networks
- September: boost to local neighborhood, media and bay area groups
- October: boost worldwide
Why are you asking for just $5? That doesn't seem like enough
The donor count is just as important as the dollar amount, because more donors will lead to more dollars.
We are not going to fully fund this by ourselves. The rest of the world is more likely to help us if we present as the very large and broad and strong community that we are. Rich people don't want to be the only person giving. They want to be part of a larger effort.
The donor count is so crucial, that Omni's fundraising team is actually postponing important outreach strategies for later in the campaign, when the donor count appears stronger. We can get access to thousands of eyeballs, but only once and only for a few seconds. We'll need to make those seconds count.
If you want things to move faster, the best first step is to just give that $5.
What happens if we don't reach $900k?
If we don't reach 900k, we'll take out a loan for the remainder. The closer we get, the easier it will be to get the loan. If we make below 200k, we are unlikely to qualify and will probably lose the building. We cannot predict the exact threshold because loans are subjective. More is better.
If you want to just retweet or share the link, that's fine. But if you want to make best use of all your connections, this will not be enough. What's the best way?
- Write a paragraph about how important omni is to you personally
- include thoughts, emotions and details in your own words
- share a personal story about how omni has improved your life
- add the gofundme link to the end
- share it on facebook where all your family and old friends can see
- tweet it publically and tag or mention the most famous or influential people who know who you are
- send it to every signal, telegram, slack, discord, whatsapp and irc group you're in. be that annoying person, just this once
short video instructions
We're going to crowdsource some short fundraising videos, and we need everybody's help! Follow these steps:
- Videos should be short, around 10 to 20 seconds
- Use your own camera or laptop wherever you are - don't worry about lighting or cinematography, or setting. Do it from your messy room, the bus, or the omni bathroom.
- look at the camera and answer one of these questions:
- why should we save omni?
- why is omni important?
- how has omni impacted my life?
- if other people are nearby, you can include them too, or film each other, or talk as a group. whatever's fun!
- email your video to email@example.com or text it to 510 545 6582 (Yar's google voice)