Print Studio

From Omni Commons
Jump to navigation Jump to search

This is a stub page about all the 2D print studio machines!

type cabinets

stores type cases when not in use

needs front access

each drawer of a cabinet is called a "case"

a drawer is like one fontsize of one font. contains all the letters, etc. this is the layout:

Galley Cabinet

a galley is a metal tray that holds type forms.

you take type out of the case and arrange it in the galley. you fill the empty space with "furniture".

when you've set a block of text and it's ready to be printed, that's called a "form"

this cabinet holds standing type while it's "tied up in a form", i.e. in active use

needs front access, ideally back access as well

42" x 23.5"


it's for bigger spacing, margins around a textbox, etc

they haven't sorted their furniture, might need a new cabinet just to store furniture

composing stick

little jig with a movable pressure locking mechanism/thing called a knee. the knee locks the length of your line. it's just a tool that helps you compose a longer text.

for example, if you're setting a whole book you can only set a few lines at once. then you have to put them on the galley and set more.

Offset Press

The big giant thing.

6'3" x 30.5"

needs full working radius

Vandercook Letterpress

Similar to offset but runs by crank

approx 8' x 26"

needs full working radius

(this is arriving tomorrow)


platen press, which means it uses a plate

human-powered, makes metallic clapping noise

needs at least front & side to use, ideally more for oiling, maintenance etc


"chandler & price"

big version of the tabletop

runs on a flywheel / tredle - foot powered

32" x 50"

this is the thing in the bar upstairs right now (coming down tomorrow)

paper folding machine

could easily make pamphlets & zines, playbills for events, etc

belongs to david brazil

on a wheeled cart covered with the "baumfolder" sack. cart is



drill press

punching holes in an entire book, esp with a wooden cover

aka laptop standing desk

drying rack

for drying prints on, can go pretty much anywhere, might move around


cuts large stacks of paper

needs front access to feed paper, and some extra space in the back for long paper reams

kwik print

"gold stamping machine"

gold-embossing on leather, cloth, etc

for making fancy book titles

small thing next to drill press

you have to fill it with gold leaf

flat file

they don't have one yet but want one.

it's a cabinet with lots of thin, long drawers for storing paper and completed prints on big sheets